Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
divine_miss_em

severe case of powdery mildew on melons

divine.miss.em
10 years ago

Hi, I currently have about 4 different melons and 1 Butternut Squash planted in a retaining rock wall area in my front yard. This is the 3rd year I've done so and it usually works pretty well, especially when the vines trail down the rock wall onto the sidewalk. This year I have a major PM problem. I always get it with cucurbits, but this year it seems especially early to be happening at such a destructive rate. 2 of the melon plants are severely infected, and the others (especially the squash) are all moderately infected. With the understanding that PM spreads through wind, I impulsively pulled out the roots of an entire plant (with some small melons in the process of ripening, boo hoo) because every single leaf was just covered in the PM as well as dried up and yellowing. Then I regretted it, thinking I probably could have just snipped off the vines and left the fruit there to ripen with roots still in tact. Oh well.

I've already removed a whole lot of leaves and stems from both melons and squash, and sprayed several times (top and bottom leaves, and stems too) with a milk/water solution. Today I replaced it with a short season hybrid melon and I'm hoping it will survive. I'm worried about the 2 melon plants that are still so severely infected that they'll infect everything else. Do I need to pull those out too? Every leaf of these 2 plants in particular looks absolutely miserable.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH