Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pollinating C. moschata with C. maxima?

Posted by sazji 8bNW Turkey (sazji@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 4:29

I have an odd problem; everyone talks about female flowers not coming on but on my C. moschata "Futsu" plants I have exactly the opposite problem. The plants are growing great guns, and I have two female flowes, one opened today, the other probably tomorrow or the next day. There are lots of male flowers forming on the vines as well, but they are growing slowly and are way behind the females. I tried pollinating the first female with pollen from a C. maxima just to get fruit. I've read that the seed from this cross is usually sterile, but does the pollination generally work for the purposes of getting a fruit? I suppose I'll know in a day or two but does anyone have any experience. If I do get seed I'll plant some; I think a Futsu x Marina di Chioggia could be a very nice squash.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pollinating C. moschata with C. maxima?

Cross pollination of these two species has been done, however the process is patented. As far as I know only Sakata has used it. As I understand the pollen from one species is chemically treated to make it acceptable to the other species. I doubt that it will work in a natural setting, but you have nothing to lose by trying.

o
RE: Pollinating C. moschata with C. maxima?

Well, it seems to have worked; the fruit is already the size of a small apple! It remains to be seen if it will actually mature it though. And of course if it will be worth it - I keep reading about the Futsu's "hazelnut" taste but people who've tried them say they couldn't taste anything like that. I also see conflicting reports on Rouge Vif d'Etampes - some say deliciously sweet smooth flesh, others say fibrous and not very sweet. Of the ones I'm growing, Marina di Chioggia is the only one I've read consistenly good things about!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here