Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amcs1164

Apple gourd shaping

amcs1164
18 years ago

Okay, now I know you're gonna laugh when you read this, but remember, I'm a novice grower.

We planted our first apple gourds this year. We used 2 cattle panels with 2 more arched overhead for them to climb on. Lots of little apple gourds have appeared. Now I find a photo on the web of apple gourds grown on a trellis and allowed to hang. It seems they grow long and shapeless without something to support them, so I have a dilemma. How to support all those little apples so that they will have a nice shape. My first attempt seems futile, but desparate. I had a few old bras and I cut the cups from them and made little bags, (I am positive I heard a loud guffaw from my neighbor as I walked away from the garden!). It may work, it's early to tell, but even if it does work I don't have enough bras for all of them. I am thinking of using some leftover plastic lattice to try and connect to the arch somehow. That is on the agenda for today. If anyone has any other ideas I would appreciate any input.

Comments (2)

Sponsored