Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carol6ma_7ari

Acorn squash: when are they ripe?

carol6ma_7ari
13 years ago

This is my first time growing acorn (and butternut too) squash. They look healthy and are fist-size. But it seems so early - I thought they took months longer to mature, like pumpkins - and I don't want to harvest them if they actually need another several weeks or a month. They're all dark green and fluted like acorn squashes I see in the market. Should I wait longer? I'd prefer to wait, since I'm dealing with a zucchini problem right now (problem: too many!) How long can I leave the acorn squashes on the vine?

Carol

Comments (6)

• carol6ma_7ari
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, joer. Good clear advice and descriptions. So (sigh of relief) I don't have to figure out where to store or when to cook, those acorn & butternut squashes - yet. My pots & oven are full of large (but still tender) zucchini being stuffed and then cut into portions and frozen. At this rate I won't have to cook at all, this winter. And the tomatoes aren't ripe yet; when they are, it's gonna be big kettles of tom. sauce and stewed toms., and wholesale-size boxes of ziploc bags, for freezing.

This is my first year of growing other vegs. than tomatoes. I didn't realize those vines would snake out overnight, and invade the other beds, and head for the potager fences. Next year I might plant only 1 seed of each kind of squash.

It's a good thing we like squash.

Carol

• voodoodaul
    13 years ago

Here's what you can do, if you realize you didn't give your butternuts enough time to ripen...
    1) Put paper towel down on your window sill.

2) Place your squash "stem up" so they sit nicely and can get enough sun.

3) Take additional paper towel (about 1 piece for every stem you have), wet it, and wrap it around the cut-off stem. Try to do this as soon as possible after cutting your squash off the vine. Also make sure most of the paper towel is where the stem is cut off.

4) To make sure it stays damp, take a piece of foil (I used pieces about 3-4" squared) and gently place it on top of the paper towel that is covering the stem of the butternut...making sure to pinch it tightly around the part of the stem that is closest to the fruit (so the foil should resemble the shape of a light bulb). Make sure the foil completely covers the paper towel.

5) Repeat every day, for about a week (or less if your stems happen to get mushy, mine didn't), to ensure they're getting enough water to keep them ripening.

TAH DAAAAAAAAAAH! Brilliance at it's best.

Thank you.
    (I made this up, and tried it, and it completely works!)

• vrjmsta
    6 years ago

Why would my acorn squash go from yellow to orange. Never green?

• farmerdill
    6 years ago

Acorn squash come in colors. most folks seem to prefer the dark green ones like Table Queen. White when ripe varieties like Cream of the Crop, multi colored varieties liked Carnival, and gold when ripe varieties like Table Gold are also available. I suspect that you have one of the golden acorns. While the standard for acorns and any other winter squash ripening is having skin too hard to cut with a finger nail, you can certainly leave them until the vines dies.

• vrjmsta
    6 years ago

Thank you