Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying Plants?

Posted by sneed none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 26, 11 at 8:28

I planted 3 Jack-o-Lantern pumpkin plants May 29 here in Queens, NY. They started growing 4-6 leaves. We had a week long heat wave. They are all wilting and dying and the vines are only about a foot long. Each day I water them for only about 2 minutes on a low hose setting in the morning and the evening. Is this too much or too little water for a heat wave? Why are they dying? Here is a picture.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying Plants?

My first thought is that they are not getting enough sun planted that close to the fence.

o

They are in direct sunlight most of the day.

o

I have planted many Jack O'Lanterns in the shade and never had a problem with them.

Are you sure they are dying, or just afraid that they look like they are dying?

o

i put this on your other post.

looks like if the sun is reflecting off that white fence they are getting cooked. put something up on the fence to absorb some heat. also you could be watering too much. try watering in the morning really good and not in the evening

o

Let me ask this. We have had no rain in weeks except for a few short blasts. When I water the plants I stand 10 feet away and the hose is set to a wide spray. I spray them for about 45 seconds and that's it because puddles form and I heard you should stop watering when puddles form. Am I under or over watering them?

o

I just noticed this, are they transplants? Those plants are very small for being 2 months old. Pumpkins don't transplant well. If they have more than just the seed leaves when you transplant the pumpkins will often suffer and grow slowly if at all.

o

I bought them from Gardenworld May 29 as small plants. They were growing big but receded. Am I overwatering or underwatering? Are they starved for water or drowning?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here