Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephaniehs_gw

Pumpkins on muddy damp lawn

StephanieHS
9 years ago

Hi again,
I have a great raised bed where I planted my pumpkins, well-draining and they're thriving. Unfortunately, I underestimated the space I'd need and so the pumpkins are starting to vine down into the lawn. This is fine, except I'm worried about the conditions of the lawn. I live outside New Orleans, it is hot, super humid and rainy. We get a lot of standing water in the yard, it's a wet muddy mess after rain and can take a couple days to dry out.

Are those conditions going to be bad for my pumpkins? I'm considering putting some pallets or milk crates around edge of bed to keep the vines and pumpkins out of the water and muck. Anyone else tried something like this? Can anyone surmise a guess how it might turn out? The plants have rerooted in the bed but this would of course stop the vines from rooting down any further.

Thanks much!

Comments (13)

• Christian
    9 years ago

I would just try and keep the actual pumpkins off the mud, but let the vines sit there and root down. Get a piece of wood or something else to lay the developing pumpkins on.
    Hey Stephanie, put up some pictures! Would love to see how things are going? Any developing pumpkins yet?

• LCaroline12
    9 years ago

Make your raised bed bigger, haha!! :) The vines would be fine in your yard, but maybe you could put something under any pumpkins that happen to land in the yard? I think you'll be fine! The only problem is you won't be able to mow where the vines are all summer, haha!

• StephanieHS
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the advice :)

Here is a pic of my pumpkin patch. I'm a bit behind, my first go-round was annihilated by borers while I was on vacation. Anyhow, tore everythng out and started fresh and now it's starting to come along nicely! I've got some standard jack-o-lantern ones in there and pie pumpkins and a polar bear plant.

My first viable females are coming round. I pollinated my first yesterday and I think it took!

• StephanieHS
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the little baby pumpkin I've got, not much now but just wait till Halloween ;)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

i would be more concerned for the lawn.. after months of being covered by the vines...

why dont you just free them if they have tendriled anything... .. lift the vine.. and train it within the bed ...

you make it sound like they have a will of their own.. and there is nothing you can do to contain them ...

ken

• StephanieHS
    Original Author
    9 years ago

grass is boring.

I don't care about the lawn. I care about pumpkinsâ¦....and more importantly my kids care about pumpkins and jack-o-lanterns and halloween, so screw the lawn.

In fact, Ken, I have been training them but I evidently over-planted. I need to allow some room for side shoots etc so gotta let them go forth. Containing them will only decrease size and yield. My fellow pumpkin people no doubt understand ;)

• LCaroline12
    9 years ago

I also say, who cares about the lawn?? :) I'm driving my husband nuts with an overgrown pumpkin plant from my garden, but oh well! NICE patch Stephanie! And I'm jealous of that huge raised bed!

• StephanieHS
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you, Caroline!

Honestly, I have an herb garden, a veggie garden and a bunch of fruit trees, but pumpkins are the most fun to grow of all (why is that???)

I just moved in my house earlier this year and someone had previously planted mint in the garden bed. uh-oh. Its taken a bit of work but I'm enjoying it - though I've seen your pumpkin patch and it's enormous!! I think you have the enviable growing space, but thanks :D

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

but pumpkins are the most fun to grow of all (why is that???)

==>> they speak to your inner child ...

i agree with all your thoughts on grass .. just pointing out an issue... its for OP ... or her lawn warrior as to what to do ...

my mom.. used to give the kids gourds she bought for fall decoration .. they took them all over the 5 acres ... they were eventually abandon as winter came.. by spring.. many were like maracas ... so seed got spread EVERYWHERE [they were growing in my conifer beds.. hosta beds.. raspberry beds.. i mean everywhere] ... when they grew into the mowing area... i just ran them over with the mower.. that surely didnt phase them ... and they sprouted and grew off in another direction ...

and dont forget.. with Ps ... the less you have on the vine.. the bigger they will get ... it is not uncommon.. when growing for size.. subject to the variety ... that many are removed.. to improve the few ...

ken

• StephanieHS
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, Ken, gourds and pumpkins are funny - the ones you aren't trying to grow seem to fare better than the ones you plant!

I'm planning on keeping the amount to one or two per vine as I'd like decent sized ones for jack-o-lanterns. However, I have 5 kids so I have to ensure I get at least many :)

Thanks!

• Bruvyman
    9 years ago

My pumpkin plant has overtaken about a third of my lawn. No biggie as far as the lawn is concerned - a little over seeding next spring and it'll be better than before!

Here's a neat way to manage the pumpkin plant on the lawn: as you trim the secondary vines, cut out a small patch of sod, put the cut end of the vine into the hole, replace the sod, and you will be able to bury the cut ends whole keeping the grass looking good :)

• Bruvyman
    9 years ago

My pumpkin plant has overtaken about a third of my lawn. No biggie as far as the lawn is concerned - a little over seeding next spring and it'll be better than before!

Here's a neat way to manage the pumpkin plant on the lawn: as you trim the secondary vines, cut out a small patch of sod, put the cut end of the vine into the hole, replace the sod, and you will be able to bury the cut ends whole keeping the grass looking good :)

• StephanieHS
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a great tip!

I'm not worrying about the lawn, just letting the pumpkins go. Its amazing how much they sprawl!

Sponsored
Cumberland Custom Homes
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
Northern Virginia's Green Residential Builder & Renovator