Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shebear40

Questions about Winter Squash

shebear
14 years ago

I need some winter squash growers to answer some questions I have on winter squash. I've never grown winter squash or knew anyone that did so I'm winging it this year. It's been interesting watching them grow. I think I might have a new favorite veggie if they taste as good as they grow.

I live in a long growing season area and planted winter squash in mid April. Some of the shorter maturity ones (an acorn variety to be exact) appear to be getting mature enough to pick and eat. (Now I'm assuming once the outer shell is hard I can pick and eat them....tell me if I'm wrong.) Anyway since there is plenty of time for the plant to produce another crop, will it or is it like a determinate tomato and done for the year?

Also how long do you leave them on the vine? Do you have to harvest before a frost or can you wait until the vines are destroyed? If you're forced to pick them before they are hard shelled, are they a loss or can you still eat them?

I'd also love to hear any good uses for different kinds as I grew lots of kinds just because I could. I've lived here in Texas all my life and have never run into cooked winter squash (except for pumpkin pie). I wonder if that's because sweet potatoes grow well here and the space was used for them instead of winter squash (more bang for the buck and less work)? Maybe it was the heavy German influence in the state since many of the settlers Stephen F. Austin brought were of German descent. You would think with all the Native American and Central American cultures that were here before that all kinds of squash would have been grown but maybe that was all overlooked. Regional food is so interesting to study.

Comments (8)

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

Yes, when your winter squash have matured you can pick them and eat them. Some varieties improve in storage for a while, but not the acorns -- they have a shorter storage life than the others. I honestly don't know if the existing plants will start over -- plants often shut down production when their fruits have matured. But if the remaining amount of summer is long enough you could plant a second crop.

In many places its customary to plant the winter squash so that maturity will coincide with the onset of cool/cold weather in the fall since they store best under moderately cool, dry conditions. But they are tasty year round and air conditioning solves the storage issue. Some of the longest-keeping varieties will last until spring.

When frost comes, the immature squash can be picked and used like summer squash. The flavor is apt to be bland so I use them in well-seasoned stir-fries or pasta sauses to perk them up.

When you're ready to eat the mature squash you can bake, steam, or stew them. I prefer baking them -- often stuffing them into the oven whole (if I didn't want the seeds for anything), alongside my roasts and casseroles.

The flesh can be mashed and treated like sweetpotatoes. I prefer nutmeg on it, my DH likes cinnamon.

Or you can make soup or use it in baking. Its a very tasty hot vegetable as well as being healthy and filling. Different varieties are smoother or stringier, moister or drier. Make note of the ones you like best and grow more of them next year. :-)

Very firm varieties can be cubed (this can take a fair amount of effort), and included in stews, pot roasts, stir fries, etc.

Enjoy!

• theonebluegecko
    14 years ago

In my experience, you will not get any more fruit on the plant. If you look at the end of the vines you can see if there are any new flowers coming, but I find that these usually die off before flowering if my other squash are nearing maturity.

I don't know when you get a frost where you are (but I would imagine that it is reasonably late), but around here there is time for another batch to be planted and harvested and that is what I will be doing in the next few days.

• shebear
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info. Guess we'll plant more squash cause we have until mid or end of November. I can't wait to try the first one.

• Macmex
    14 years ago

My personal experience with acorn squash, is that, after the skin becomes hard enough that one cannot puncture it with a fingernail, it is technically ripe. But the flavor improves very much if one leaves it for 30 days more before eating. This can be done even in the house. It doesn't have to remain on the vine. I've really only had this experience with acorn squash. My butternut types are wonderful as soon as the skin is hard.

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• shebear
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks macmex. We were wondering about the butternut one of the ladies at the community garden was growing. Now I can tell her for sure.

I know I'll have more questions about other winter squash but they are no where near being mature.

Is there any literature out there about growing and harvesting and storing winter squash? Most of the info I've found seems to be targeted to growing squash for marketing and not family use. I guess farmers find that info at ag school or the feed store. It's the little things that seem to make all the difference when growing to feed a family.

• guile
    14 years ago

There is a great book out there called The Complete Squash by Amy Goldman. It not only will give you great tips as far as growing squash but will also introduce you to many wonderful heirloom varieties of squash and provide you with valuable seed saving info.

Andrew

• Macmex
    14 years ago

I'm not home right now, so I can't check. But if my memory serves, Rodale's Encyclopedia of Organic Gardening should have a decent article on it. I'm sure, over the years, I've also read stuff in the National Gardening Magazine (now defunct).

There are some very knowledgeable folk on this forum, most of whom are standing by for your questions. Feel free to ask and then be prepared to sift a bit. Not every answer given is always right on. But generally a consensus becomes apparent.

George

• kterlep
    14 years ago

My daughter saw black acorn squash on the vine the other day and is already begging for her favorite dish:

Stuffed Acorn Squash:

Cut acorn squash in half (be careful!!), scoop out seeds

Stuff with a mounded scoop of filling, options below:
    - 1 tube of pork sausage fills 2 squash (4 halves).
    - we make our own with ground turkey. I add mace, nutmeg, cinnamon and a bit of sage.
    - I usually add 1/2 (or so) as much oatmeal as sausage because I like to stretch the meat. Also, the pork sausage is very rich and the oatmeal soaks up the grease.
    - My husband is a vegetarian. I mix Textured Soy Protein (bacon-bit-like dry meat substitute), an egg, and spices & flavorings to mimic the meat filling.
    - I like to stick walnuts or pecans on the top of the mounded meat filling
    - Alternately, you can omit the meat filling and just put equal amounts of butter, maple syrup, and brown sugar in the seed cavity.

Bake in a hot oven until done (maybe 375-400 degrees for 1- 1 1/2 hrs, sorry, I cook in the old-fashioned way). Squash is done when a fork easily passes through the flesh...it's better to be overdone than underdone.

Serve with maple syrup drizzled on the top - one half of a decent sized acorn squash is nearly a meal. The cooked halves freeze well, we generally fill the oven when we make squash.

You can also bake the (cleaned) seeds sprinkled with seasoning of your choice...for about 5 minutes (you have to watch them, they burn fast) in the same temp oven. They make a nice snack and kids enjoy doing it. You could find a recipe for baked pumpkin seeds if you are interested.

If you have not tried Spaghetti Squash - it's very good, no-or-low-carb, it's not exactly like spaghetti, but if you use your imagination, it's a good substitute for angel-hair pasta, and makes a nice casserole. You bake it in a very similar way and then scoop out the fibers after they are baked.

You will want to put any squash on a cookie sheet to bake.

Happy squash-baking!

Kate

Sponsored