Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finally a female pumpkin blossom!

Posted by organic_mamag Z6 IN (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 08 at 9:23

This forum has been so helpful! I worried that my pumpkin plants only had male blossoms but then I read on here to wait until the vines were longer. Sure enough, this morning when I did my daily check, I found my first female blossom! I hand-pollinated it with one of the many male blossoms. I'm so excited. I hope it is the first of many.

And on a related note, my zucchini had been producing lots of 3" zucchini that apparently weren't getting pollinated because they'd deflate and turn yellow. Thanks to this forum I started hand-pollinating (using a child's paintbrush) and now I have HUGE zucchini! Yippee!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finally a female pumpkin blossom!

Congrats! Can't wait for my turn!

o

could you (or someone) post a pic of a female blossom and a male blossom so a newb pumpkin grower like me can tell the difference...

thanks

dozer

o

Here are two links for you with pictures:

Illustrated hand pollination You can see the base of male and female flowers. The female flowers are the ones with a baby fruit attached.

Inside of male and female flowers This is a second way to tell the difference.

o

thanks so much weird, i saw my first female this morning. she is closed tight but I will check often to see the progress and hopefully learn. more

both those links were great

Steve

o

Can you tell me if theses r male or female pumpkin flowers? i am trying to help my pumpkins plants right now they been getting bombed with bugs & snails i am gonna be buying stuff today hopefully that will work. my pumpkin plants turning yellowish & some look almost like it mite have some mildew or something on it have no idea what that is though. u kinda can see what i am talking about by the second pic....any ideas? thanks
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

o

Hard to tell, but just by looking at the insides they look like male flowers. Here is an easy way check - if the flower is connected to a stem, than it is a male; if the flower is connected to a tiny fruit, then it is a female.

o

My pumpkin blossom look to be female since it has a noticeable bump at the base of the flower, but the inside looks like the male pictured above. Which is it?

o

Take a look at the two links I posted further up in the thread. They have both a top and side view of male and female flowers. I would say you have a male flower, a female flower has more than just a bump. The little bump you see is probably just the bottom of the male flower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here