Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_mamag

Finally a female pumpkin blossom!

organic_mamag
15 years ago

This forum has been so helpful! I worried that my pumpkin plants only had male blossoms but then I read on here to wait until the vines were longer. Sure enough, this morning when I did my daily check, I found my first female blossom! I hand-pollinated it with one of the many male blossoms. I'm so excited. I hope it is the first of many.

And on a related note, my zucchini had been producing lots of 3" zucchini that apparently weren't getting pollinated because they'd deflate and turn yellow. Thanks to this forum I started hand-pollinating (using a child's paintbrush) and now I have HUGE zucchini! Yippee!

Thanks!

Comments (25)

• msyoohoo
    15 years ago

Congrats! Can't wait for my turn!

• regaldozer
    15 years ago

could you (or someone) post a pic of a female blossom and a male blossom so a newb pumpkin grower like me can tell the difference...

thanks

dozer

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

Here are two links for you with pictures:

Illustrated hand pollination You can see the base of male and female flowers. The female flowers are the ones with a baby fruit attached.

Inside of male and female flowers This is a second way to tell the difference.

• regaldozer
    15 years ago

thanks so much weird, i saw my first female this morning. she is closed tight but I will check often to see the progress and hopefully learn. more

both those links were great

Steve

• ladyoutlaw619
    15 years ago

Can you tell me if theses r male or female pumpkin flowers? i am trying to help my pumpkins plants right now they been getting bombed with bugs & snails i am gonna be buying stuff today hopefully that will work. my pumpkin plants turning yellowish & some look almost like it mite have some mildew or something on it have no idea what that is though. u kinda can see what i am talking about by the second pic....any ideas? thanks
    {{gwi:855912}}
    {{gwi:855914}}
    {{gwi:855916}}
    {{gwi:855918}}

• vtgreenthumb
    15 years ago

Hard to tell, but just by looking at the insides they look like male flowers. Here is an easy way check - if the flower is connected to a stem, than it is a male; if the flower is connected to a tiny fruit, then it is a female.

• steena-sunshine
    15 years ago

My pumpkin blossom look to be female since it has a noticeable bump at the base of the flower, but the inside looks like the male pictured above. Which is it?

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

Take a look at the two links I posted further up in the thread. They have both a top and side view of male and female flowers. I would say you have a male flower, a female flower has more than just a bump. The little bump you see is probably just the bottom of the male flower.

• lkdfs
    9 years ago

I wanted to post some photos of some Jack-Be-Little pumpkin flowers. The first female appeared today after about 90 days. The package says 95 days to maturity, but I really didn't think that would be Sept 17 when I planted these in pots in June(!). This is a female center:

• lkdfs
    9 years ago

Here's the Jack-Be-Little female flower with base (So cute!):

• lkdfs
    9 years ago

Male flower base, for comparison:

• lkdfs
    9 years ago

Male flower center:

• Christian
    9 years ago

Here's a Rouge Vif d'Etampes (C. Maxima) female blossom.

• springtogarden
    9 years ago

These are beautiful you guys! This is why they are my favorite plant to grow. How adorable is it that you "see" the pumpkin before its even pollinated on the flower stem?! The Jack-Be-Little female flower is so cute!

• dpforumdog
    9 years ago

I have lots of males yellow flowers blooming but I have had only few female buds. I call them buds because I have not seen them ever open to flowers. The female buds are at the bottom of the vines near the dirt. They look like tiny elf heads with Santa caps.

I have not seen any female buds open to flowers, but we only come to our property on the weekend so I do not know what I am missing during the week. Maybe they have bloomed during the week and just fall, maybe the deer are are eating them (but the deer don't seem to eat the male flowers)

How long after the female bud (elf head with Santa cap) appears should there be a yelllow flower?

What could be happening to my little female buds during the week?

• lkdfs
    9 years ago

Hmmm. So the base ("mini pumpkin") will still be on the vine once your flower has faded. I think that's how you'll know if you had a female flower. The only thing about missing the flower is that you won't have hand-pollinated it. It could have been pollinated by the bees, but I hand-pollinate to make sure. So if you see mini pumpkins on the vine without flowers on the weekend, they may or may not be viable. HTH.

• Christian
    9 years ago

The "Santa cap" on the "elf heads" will slowly grow (over many days) , but will be green. The day before it opens, you'll start to see some yellow in it, then the next day, they open up... really early in the morning, maybe an hour or 2 before sunrise.
    Here's one I pollinated this morning

• dpforumdog
    9 years ago

We are there only on the weekends and I have yet to see a yellowish santa cap. I think my santa caps are falling off or somehow disappearing before they turn yellow to open to a flower. Its getting kinda late even for Alabama

Thanks this was very helpful.

• dpforumdog
    9 years ago

Has this flower (by my finger) already opened and closed? Or is it going to open in a few days

• dpforumdog
    9 years ago

Has the flowers by the scissors already opened and closed? Or has it yet to open?

• dpforumdog
    9 years ago

All the males flowers were wide open this morning blooming big. But my females looks as if the yellow flowers have shriveled up.

• dpforumdog
    9 years ago

For future readers.These two female flowers were pollinated and did become pumpkins,

• otcay
    9 years ago

my newest female blossom

• Christian
    9 years ago

What kind is that ?

• otcay
    9 years ago

It's a kabocha. I hand fertilized it but I'm not sure if it will have enough time to ripen.