Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tithis

Cucumber beetles

Tithis
12 years ago

Does anyone have suggestions on how to control these guys. I found a mating pair about a week ago and since then I've been going out every night with the flashlight killing them and it's starting to drain on me :/ My efforts has stopped most of their defoliation but their population seems to slowly increasing as the vines grow, I'm finding more every night.

Their is quite a bit of brush and weeds next to the patch that I think may be harboring some of them. Would clearing this out have any effect on their population?

Comments (10)

• mkavand
    12 years ago

I too am having an issue with them. The larvae are covered all over my tomatillo plants. I used BT a few days ago to try to stop them. It's too soon to tell if it's working or not but it seems like they have stoped eating the plants so far. I think the worst thing it that they spread bacterial wilt to 3 of my cucumber plants so far.

• Tithis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Bacterial wilt is my main concern. I've read pumpkins are more resistant than a lot of cucurbits, so I have some hope there. My other concern is them damaging the pumpkins when they finally start growing (still waiting for flowers and haven't noticed any female buds yet) I've also heard they can damage corn and beans, both of which are growing right by the pumpkin.

Looking at something called Neem right now. If clearing the brush & weeds doesn't help I'll probably try that.

• mkavand
    12 years ago

You should be able to find neem at your local nursery or I've seen it at Lowes. I decided to use the BT after reading a lot about them and the larvae. BT is an all natural product for organic gardening just like neem. I'm not sure if clearing out the brush would help or not but I would spray it while you spray the pumpkins. I have pumpkins, corn, tomatoes, eggplant, potatoes and more growing in the garden and haven't had any beetle damage to them. Part of the issue I read is that they can overwinter in the soil so I think I'll be treating the soil with neem after I pull up the plants. Good luck in your efforts. I've heard that once they reach adult size they are very hard to kill, best to get rid of them while they are larvae.

• dancinglemons
    12 years ago

Hello all,

I do not know how you feel about 'chemicals'. I had a serious infestation in 2010 of the cuke beetle and the squash bugs. I started this year with Surround WP at transplant. I now spray with Ortho Bug-B-Gone MAX. The formula has bifenthrin which is a pyrethrin. I am satisfied with the results. I have my cucumber plants on a trellis so it is easier for me to spray.

DL

• zephyrus
    12 years ago

I hate using it and only apply rotenone as a last resort but I've had success with it. My plants took a big hit early on and I couldn't keep the CBs at bay by hand picking or by using Gardens Alive Surroud At Home.

• wolverine1012
    12 years ago

My wife and I spent about an hour this morning thoroughly examining the underside of the leaves on about a dozen squash/zucchini/cucumber/melon plants, handpicked and destroyed the eggs attached there. That should reduce future generations. Tomorrow early I'll be spraying with either Neem or Rotenone/Pyrethrin (I haven't decided yet) to hopefully kill the young adults. No nymphs were found today so I guess we got the eggs before the hatch.

• janelee81
    12 years ago

I have been having the same problem. I noticed that they tend to be "caught in the act" in the blossoms. I have been going out early in the morning before work with a tweezers and a napkin, plucking them out of the blossoms and killing them with the napkin. It seems to be working as I haven't seen any in awhile. I tried neem oil but it didn't seem to do anything.

I joked that they should change the "_______ like rabbits" to "___________ like squash beetles" ;)

• dciolek
    12 years ago

Every morning before work and every evening after I'm home I've been squishing beetles and squishing eggs. I find mating pairs of cucumber beetles and stink bugs every time and usually more groups of eggs. So I KNOW I'm not eradicating them, but just hoping to keep them down enough to not have total devastation.

Problem is -- when you scale up to more than 10-20 plants or so, that becomes quite a chore. Another problem is -- if you scale down to only one or two plants of a certain type, you risk total loss of the crop.

It was frustrating enough that I bought Sevin spray about three weeks ago after none of the organic "home remedies" (like soap, hot pepper, garlic, etc) worked out. But I still haven't had the heart to use the Sevin. When I'm there in the morning looking for beetles with needle nose pliers in the blossoms -- the bees are right there with me. Can't live without those guys...

• janelee81
    12 years ago

Yeah, I only have one lonely plant, so it is easier for me. Wish I could give you additional help :/

• Tithis
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I'm happy to say I've experienced a very sharp decline in the number of cucumber beetles. I didn't check last night and when I checked this night I only found one breeding pair. I'm not sure what the cause is, but I'm certainly not complaining.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area