Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does this female flower look healthy?

Posted by acorn922 none (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 25, 12 at 9:42

Does the flower in the photo seem healthy? There are three on the same vine about the same size. Do you think it will get bigger? Should I get rid of one or two to promote growth?
I'm afraid to do so 'just in case the remaining one doesn't blossom.

A lot of the female flowers on a different pumpkin plant that were this size never blossomed and died. Very disappointing.

The female flowers that did blossom were a lot bigger.

Help!

Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does this female flower look healthy?

looks fine. you could have lost the first ones because the plant wasnt big enough to support children. or temps. let it go until you get your favorite kid.

o

There is never a good reason to remove female blossoms. Only remove fruits after they have set if you don't want them.

o

Thank you for the replies.

Well, it hung in there and blossomed! I hand pollinated it a couple of days ago.
Today I noticed the skin look kinda bumpy.
Is that a bad sign?

o

Why don't you tell us what you are growing. all we know from the picture is that it is some type of C. maxima. If it is supposed to have bumpy fruit then it looks great.

o

Good suggestion. It's a Big Max.
All the other female flowers were smooth. This was the first bumpy one I noticed.

o

It's been a few days is the pumpkin still growing? And is it still bumpy? Do the leaves look normal? Normally fruit like that are an indication of a mosaic virus, but that would deform the leaves too. I'd imagine you'd probably notice that and ask about your leaves. So maybe the seeds weren't pure and it is a cross with a bumpy variety.

o

It konked out. The greeness of the leaves on that vine does look different from the rest of the plant. It probably does have a virus. :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here