Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Zuchinni development

Posted by keithdirt z5 IN (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 8, 12 at 10:07

OK, I know we're in a drought and all, but this seems a little odd to me. I have great soil (amended) and water daily, not too heavily, usually first thing in the morning to avoid molds, etc.

I've grown zuchs in the past and usually the plants vine all over the place and take over whatever area they're in. This time they seem to be forming bushes instead of vines. They don't seem to want to spread out! I don't get it... did I get some kind of bush variety by accident? (can't find the seed package.) Nice big leaves and several young fruits developing but this seems odd to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Zuchinni development

sounds like you got a bush variety. thats what im growing and thats what mine sound like. all the fruits are coming out at the center/base of the plant.

o

Well, you are right... after some digging, I see that most varieties offered now are bush type. Duh! Last time I grew these was 15 years ago, probably when seeds were mostly vine-type...

Well, at least I know I can take down the trellis now. LOL... :-)

o

Yeah, I don't even know of any zuke that would not be a bush type nowadays. For summer squashes, the bushes are completely adequate in my opinion. No need for long vines. Two bushes gives me way more than I can deal with without sending 20-foot vines all over the place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here