Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown squash. Help!

Posted by deltafactor (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 10:44

I got a flat of unknown seedlings from a neighbor. Everything else was easily identifiable, but I don't know my squash. The squash is nearly two feet long. The leaves in the first picture are from a different squash plant next to it. The leaves that belong to the plant in question are in the second photo. Any help would be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown squash. Help!

It looks like a zucchini.

o

That's what I thought by the look of the leaves, but if it is zucchini, it's already the fattest and oddest shaped one I've ever seen. Not that I'm an expert, but it sure doesn't look like the zucchinis in the store.

o

Zucchinis will get quite big if you let them (much bigger than at the store) and it is not that unusually for them to have a larger end and not be uniform all around.

The fruit and the leaves look like zucchini leaves, but the best way to tell would be to cut it open and try it. It could always be some hybrid of a zucchini and something else.

If it is a bush type squash without long vines or tendrils I really think it is a zucchini.

o

I think you're probably right. Now I know I can pick them soon, unlike some sort of winter squash. Thanks for the help.

o

Several of the grey type zucchini have this club shape, not unusual at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here