Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lorensay

Clear, slimy eggs on underside of Zucchini

lorensay
11 years ago

Hi all. I'm a first time Squash grower, and I've become a bit paranoid about pests on my plant. I have a mature Zucchini plant in a large container (never used before, in potting soil that's also never been used before). I went out to harvest the first Zuke this morning. After slicing the Zucchini off I noticed that an adjoining male blossom was growing from the base of the Zucchini, and right in the groove where they met were perhaps 6-12 un-colored, clear, gooey insect eggs. My initial inclination was that they could be mite eggs, but they were larger than that. They aren't ant eggs, but they look like they could be about that size. Maybe 2-4 millimeters in diameter. I should have taken pictures, but I didn't think to. :(

Anyone know what these could be?

For some additional context (and I'm not sure if this is at all related), I feel like the plant has been generally yellowing a bit. It's not as green as it once was. The fruits that are on the plant appear to be growing fine, but some of the immature, baby female Zucchinis at the base of unopened female blossoms, especially on the side of the vine where I harvested the Zucchini with eggs, are really yellow. Also, none of the leaves are dying, but they are getting little holes in them that I've assumed are insect-related but I've never found the culprit.

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Sponsored