Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baby Pumpkin Chewed On...any hope?

Posted by sunnyk Z6 SW Coastal CT (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 4, 09 at 11:49

I had high hopes for my one volunteer pumpkin vine. I had one beautiful pollinated pumpkin, and it was about the size of a baseball so far. This morning I went out to check on it only to find that a squirrel has eaten off the skin from the blossom end, and chewed a dime size hole about a 1/2 deep on the side.
My husband pointed out that about 2 feet up the vine is another pumpkin, not yet pollinated with a tightly closed bud.

So my question is....do I leave the damaged pollinated pumpkin on the vine and hope it recovers and also try to pollinate the new baby when the flower opens.
-Or-
Should I remove the damaged pumpkin as it will only rot and steal nutrients from the new baby.

Thanks for any help...I hate those squirrels

And Have a Safe and Happy 4th

Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baby Pumpkin Chewed On...any hope?

Based on your description of the size of the pumpkin and the depth of the damage I would give your pumpkin about an 95% chance of recovering without rotting. That being said if it does make it WILL be disfigured and a scar that early on will cause a very misshapen fruit. If I were in your position I would remove the damaged fruit there is more than enough time for many new pumpkins to form. The small pumpkin can be eaten, just treat like a summer squash.

o
RE: Baby Pumpkin Chewed On...any hope?

• Posted by sunnyk Z6 SW Coastal CT (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 7, 09 at 21:12

Thanks for the help . So far the little baby one on the end is staying little, and the gnawed one seems to be forming scar tissue insted of rotting and is growing happily. SO you were totally right, it isnt rotting ...wooohooo!! If the baby ever gets moving and pollinated I will make the decision whether to remove the gnawed guy or not :)

Thanks for the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here