Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
slings?

Posted by danaoh SWOhio zone 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 24, 06 at 11:51

I am sure this has been answered somewhere. I did a search but still not clear. First year Bird House Gourds. I have quite a few little ones on my vines- should I pinch some off to go for quality not quantity? Also, shouldn't they be supported while hanging on the vine in some way? Some kind of sling so they won't fall off?

Thanks - so glad I found this forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: slings?

• Posted by genepa 6 south central PA (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 0:46

Hi Danaoh, Whether to pinch off or not is a hard question. It depends on the overall vigor of your vine, whether its being stressed by dryness, bugs, disease, etc. Bird house gourds are fairly large and going for quality over quanity is definitely desired. You're in the same zone as I am so you want to also consider whether new ones forming will have enough time to mature, or will they draw nourishment from the ones on now. I would definitely not let any more start. I hope this is at least a little help. When you say they are hanging from the vine now, I assume they are on a trellis of some sort?? If the trellis or whatever is strong enough you won't need any support. I've had bird house and goose neck gourds that were fairly large and never had any fall from the vine. Good luck. Gene

o
RE: slings?

I've used panty hose as slings for the really big ones. If the stem looks like it may break from pressure, stockings are the trick.
Kate

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here