Return to the Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cucumber Beetles...Arrrrrg!

Posted by penmac1 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 26, 06 at 12:03

Can someone tell me how to get rid of these pests? I do NOT use pesticides and have been out there everyday catching these mennis of the vines. I am going away for a couple of weeks and I need to save my babies before I go. I'll take any ideas you can give me...PLEASE! :0)
TIA
Penny

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cucumber Beetles...Arrrrrg!

Oh I know how that goes.....They were all over my garden last year. I easliy had 20 to 30 Cucumber Beetles on every blossom. I had always been organic in the past but finally had to resort to Seven Dust. They were eating everthing. This year I changed a few things. I put my gourd plants out later, made many yellow plastic traps coated with tanglefoot paste, planted the right kind of Marigold. I have tried marigolds in the garden for years with no luck. Finally I read the hybrid marigolds had the smell bred out of them, no wonder they didn't work. I planted African Marigolds, Tagetes erecta and boy do the stink! It's wonderful! I have seen very few beetles this year. I still go out a kill what I see by hand but I maybe killed 5 tonight. I am also trying a recipe for a organic spray that I found on another garden forum. It does kill them but I've had so few this year that I've only used it a couple of times. But this is the recipe: Add 1 teaspoon of dish soap(not aniti bacterial) to a quart of warm water. Add 1 1/3 ounce of Neem Oil, 2/3 ounce of Karanja oil and mix well. It will look milky. Add this to 1 3/4 gallons of water, mix. You now have 2 gallons of spray solution.Pour into a sprayer of any type and spray on the plants, undersides, stems and ground. It may also be used as a soil drench. Use 7-11 day intervels, 4-5 times a season. At this ratio it is also good as a fungicidal application. I also dicovered squash bugs on my egg gourds the other day. I put neem meal around the base of the plant and boy, they took off running. I also sprayed them with this solution and I didn't see any tonight.

Here is a link that might be useful: NeemResource.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here