Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
atlanticgiantpumpkin

Atlantic Giant Pumpkin questions

First off i started my pumkins a week late, but that isn't a problem , im just confused as how to hand pollinate them and all. and how many weeks does it take for the first female and male flowers to form? thanks for all the answers.

-Bradford

Comments (5)

• quillsd
    14 years ago

When did you plant them? My Howden pumpkins were almost 60 days from planting until pollination. The hand pollination is really easy, you just have to identify the males and females. The male flowers will show up first, don't get worried if you're not seeing females they will come, you have to let your plants start to vine out before the females will show up.

• atlanticgiantpumpkin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ill get some pictures up and show you how much they have grown. Yeah the 19th but they are on there fourth leaves now. Any suggestions on what to buy for fast growing fertilizer. Im not looking for the biggest pumpkin this year but would just want a couple. Im going to really start things off next year with a couple varieties of pumpkins and all. I just wanted to see if i could grow them. Plus Floridas weather has been great for them they grow a new leaf and about in inch a day. Thanks for answering the question about male and female flowers.

Sorry but how many plants would you suggest for an area of about 50 feet?

• someguyinmaine
    14 years ago

I like to grow Atlantic Giant. Not for the size, but because it is vigourous and grows well in my short season climate. It is a decent eating orange hubbard-like squash.

Unfortunately, a beaver ate the plants down to nubs a couple of weeks ago, but with ferts they are growing back fast and are now about to bloom. I have surrounded the garden with 3 rows of barbed wire and no beaver problems since.

This is what I am currently using to fertilize my squash and cukes and it works quite well.

In a gallon jug, add 2 tablespoons ammonia, 4 tablespoons Miracle Gro Bloom Booster, and 4 tablespoons fish /seaweed emulsion. Fill the jug with water and shake. Generously feed the roots every 2 days that it doesn't rain. I usually use 1 gallon per hill. Every 2 weeks, side dress with triple phosphate.

• atlanticgiantpumpkin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yeah that is interesting, using ammonia and all, plus your weather up there was crappy for the whole month of June, for i stayed in washington county and it all but rained every other day, lol, sounds like a good plan, and florida's weather want get cold till the end of november ha and cold to us is maybe 60 degrees, ha again. So my pumpkins will hopefully have a good growing time, thanks for all the thoughts, will go bye that stuff tomorrow.

- Bradford

• atlanticgiantpumpkin
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I did the liquid fertilizer and all it sounds like a good idea, hopefully will have progress

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz