Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
georgiapoollover

why are my pumpkin leaves yellow?

georgiapoollover
16 years ago

My pumpkin leaves are yellowing. Its all the leaves, not spots on the leaves. I have 3 pumpkins growing currently. 1 is quite large and the other 2 smaller. I am also losing any new female flowers that are growing. They fall off. Help!!!!

Comments (9)

• tanoota

I just read somewhere else on this site that this is all normal as the energy is going towards the gourds now.
    All of my leaves near the flowers or gourds are still nice and green, but at the center, or where the seed was originally planted, it all looks yellow, brown and dying.

But everything else looks vital.

My Turk's Turban are looking so cute I can't stand it!!

I have to go check out the other forums to see how to preserve these dollies.....

• tanoota

I just read somewhere else on this site that this is all normal as the energy is going towards the gourds now.
    All of my leaves near the flowers or gourds are still nice and green, but at the center, or where the seed was originally planted, it all looks yellow, brown and dying.

I have to go check out the other forums to see how to preserve these dollies.....

• tanoota

• linnyhb
    16 years ago

I'm experiencing this too. My plants have a few pumpkins each that are just starting to turn orange. I looked outside yesterday and noticed that all the plants are starting to yellow. They get watered when they seem to need it which has been every other day or every 3rd day lately. I've been sick so I can't get out to actually look closely at the plants but when I was out last I didn't see any sign of squash borers or any other pests other than leafhoppers which are plaguing my garden this year. Any suggestions? Also my acorn squash look like they are starting to yellow too.

• bterrier121
    16 years ago

to tell you the truth, i am having this problem too. im thinking a lot of other people are too, just look at some of the board topics. im thinking its either over watering, or its just natural. but im not sure----its my first year growing jack-o lantern pumpkins sorry this isn't much help to you.

• bluensilver
    16 years ago

My pumpkins are experiencing some yellowing, too. So are my Turk's Turban squash. I am not sure why. It has been fairly dry here and I have had to water...I don't think it's too much water...although we got a lot of rain a while back, when everything flooded. No signs of squash borers, but I do have squash bugs. I wonder if that is it?

• Dan Klinge
    14 years ago

Mine are yellowing....and some dry spots are showing up. HELP!

• weirdtrev
    14 years ago

How big are the plants? Can you post a picture? What have you done to fertilize the plants?

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Have you been getting a lot of rain, overcast cloudy days, cooler nights?
    If yes, then your pum/squas are fine. Let them dry up. Do not water them. After seein some sun they will get darker green.

The fruits are falling off ? Hummm!!
    Again, too much rain >>> no bees >>> no pollination >>> no fruits.
    If You want cucurbita fruits, you have to play bees sometimes. Roll up youe sleeves and pollinate them yourself.

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz