Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rayama_gw

Spag Squash - How do you eat yours?

rayama
14 years ago

I just discovered winter squash in the last 2 years. Frankly, I've never liked summer squash (except fried with lots of batter) or pumpkin. But I stumbled across butternut, acorn, spaghetti...and I'm hooked! I'm growing Small Wonder spaghetti squash this year (I strongly recommend it, I've already harvested 4 fruits from 2 plants). My favorite way to eat it is to cut it in half, scoop out the seeds, and make a mixture of blue cheese, oregano or other Italian spices, olive, salt, garlic and pepper. Put this in the cavity and make sure to dab it along the top edge, then back at 375 for 45 minutes. My mom, who is very 'meh' about most of my other cooking, loves this and asks me daily if any more are ripe. You can do this with Parmesan cheese to, but we like blue cheese better.

So, how do you cook your spaghetti squash?

Comments (4)

• engineeredgarden
    14 years ago

I tried spaghetti squash last year for the first time, and didn't the way my wife prepared it. (butter, salt, and pepper). I'm growing it again this year, and will try spaghetti sauce on the strands this time. I'll try growing butternut next year.

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: My gardening blog

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

I have only used it in place of shark fin melon. They are similar in the way that have many strands, i.e. texture.

Recepie:

1-couple pounds of neck bones(pork or beef).
    2- 2 - 3 medium carrots.
    3- one stalk of celery
    4- about half of medium spag. squash
    5- one medium tomato, peeled, seeded, diced.
    salt, spices to taste
    Directions:
    - cut squash, take seeds out, peel, cut into big chunks (2" by 2")
    - cut carrots, celery into about 2" lengths

-- bring 2 qrts of water to boil in a 4 qts pot.
    -- dump the neck bones in, at MED heat, and boil for about 5-7 minutes.
    -- strain it, to get rid of that foamy stuff and some of the fat. I would evene spray it with cold water
    -- bring about 2 qrts of fresh cold water to boil(2nd time now).
    -- put the bones back in the boiling water, continue on med heat and bring it to boil again.
    -- put in squash, carrots, celery, spices and continue for 10 to 15 minute.
    -- lower the heat, cover (low-warm), simmer for another hour or so.

Not: Carrots provide some sweetness and color.
    Tomatoes will provide color and some sour taste.

• spiced_ham
    14 years ago

One of the first ones I ever cooked I poked some holes in it with a knife to relieve pressure and baked it whole. It didn't explode until I took it out of the oven and put it on the stove top to cool. So, don't do that.

I usually put spagetti sauce and parmasan cheese on it.

• joanelle
    14 years ago

I use it in place of pasta in various dishes. Hamburger type dishes, chicken (alfredo) dishes, even cold noodle salad type dishes.

I grow a lot of it and cook big batches up in my big slow cooker (18 quarts) and freeze it in quart bags for later use. They store for quite a while right out of the garden, but I get a bit tired afterwards, checking on all of them if they are storing well or starting to go bad.
    Otherwise for just a single one, I slice it, clean it out, put the slices back together and cook it in the microwave (much faster than the oven) maybe about 8 minutes in the microwave depending on the size of the squash (and microwave)

Sponsored