Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squash with split stem

Posted by steve-123 BC (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 12:49

Hi--newbie here--

I have a hubbard squash. It looks great and has a nice 6 foot runner. The problem is near the base of that runner there is an ugly split maybe two inches long which follows along the vine. I only noticed this yesterday. Photo link below.

I looked inside the split and and gently poked around and did not find any bugs/borers. The split is weeping a bit. Is this a pest or did some stresses on the vine cause it to split?

I put a shovelful of dirt further along the runner in hopes it will lay down secondary roots.

Does anyone know what is happening to my squash? Suggestions on how to proceed?

Here is a link that might be useful: squash with split stem

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squash with split stem

Sometimes you'll get a split from some kind of stress on the vine -- getting twisted by the wind, being stepped on my a person or animal, growing over a lump of some kind, etc.

Burying the split area itself might be a good idea. Every time I've operated on my summer squash for borers I've buried the cut area in finished compost and I've only lost one plant so far.

o
RE: Squash with split stem

Thanks! We have tried to encourage secondary root growth by putting soil/compost at several nodes where the "baby" secondary roots are (including the split spot). The split may have grown a bit more :-( But nothing is wilting, and we have noticed that one of the secondary roots is quite substantial. Fingers crossed the runner makes it :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here