Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mystery plant

Posted by winchesterva 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 4, 08 at 13:06

this is a volunteer, I have never grown anything that looks remotely like this, do you know what it is and if so, when should I pick it?
Mystery melon, pumpkin or squash?

Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mystery plant

That is awesome! It looks like a neat cross between a pumpkin and a gourd or a pumpkin and a summer squash. It is nothing that is available on he market to my knowledge. It is slightly similar to the batwing pumpkin but it is much larger. I would let it grow until the tendril next to the pumpkin is dry and brown. It will be similar in shape to a jack-o-lantern type pumpkin, but it obviously has different colors. I am guessing you didn't buy those seeds and they are either from a pumpkin you bought or a pumpkin you grew but didn't hand pollinate.

o
RE: mystery plant

Very pretty! It'll be interesting to find if it has good usable flesh.

Back in 2001 I picked up a bunch of pumpkins, off the curb, in NJ, to process for eating. One of them had a gourd like, hard shell. But the inner flesh was superb. I saved a couple of seeds and grew them out in 2006. I couldn't believe it, they came true to seed! So, now I'm growing from the second generation.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here