Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
hybridizing question from newbie

Posted by andyandy 6bMI (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 12, 11 at 13:44

I have a female flower on an Atlantic Giant vine that looks like it will open in the next day or two. Unfortunately there are not any male flowers that look like they are about to open. I have all sorts of open male flowers on my Big Max vines. If I polinate the female AG with the male BM which traits will come out. I have read that you don't see the results of the cross polination until you plant the seeds from the hybrid the next year. I want to get an AG set ASAP but it has been slower going with the AG then the BM which I have two set already.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: hybridizing question from newbie

Right, You won't see anything this year but those seeds planted next year might be a surprise.
I would save the seeds and plant some just for fun next year.

o

Robert-
So if I get the female on the AG to set its growth will not be retarded by the Big Max?

thank you for the help.

o

No. What ever your pumpkin is going to be this year is already set in the female.

o

great, that is what I was hoping to hear.

thank you so much

o

You are welcome.
Glad to help you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here