Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
countymounty_gw

Vine Borer Question

countymounty
18 years ago

This is the first time I have grown gourds. I planted speckled swan and bottle gourds and they are growing fine. The vines are growing up and over a pergola and the only soil contact for the gourd plants is where the seeds sprouted at the base of the vine. Last year squash vine borers totally destroyed my zuchini and summer squash and I was concerned that this year's generation would go after the gourds. To my surprise they have totally ignored them. I know that the borers are present because after the gourds had been growing for about 60 days some volunteer spaghetti squash started to grow (compost pile not hot enough) and the squash vine borer has been hitting them very hard. The spaghetti vines are growing on the ground within several feet of where the gourd vines are growing and there has been absolutely no vine borer activity on the gourds. I had read that squash vine borers were a serious problem for gourds. Is there a "Gourd" vine borer that is perhaps a different bug than a squash vine borer? Has anyone else seen this happen?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH