Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
is this normal?

Posted by sunnybloomers (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 12, 07 at 14:11

I have veg. garden for the first time and have a question about my pumpkin plants. I've read that the male flowers arrive first with the females to follow. However, the males have yet to open up, while the females already are. Is that alright? The males look like they will soon, but will that be too late? Should I open up one of them and try to hand polinate, anyhow? Im confused.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: is this normal?

Yes that is perfectly normal. Don't try and open up any of the male flowers since the pollen isn't fully developed yet. If you have any gourd or summer squash flowers they can pollinate your pumpkin, assuming your pumpkin is a pepo (which it probably is). And don't worry many more female flowers will form on your pumpkin vine.

o
RE: is this normal?

Are you 100% positive they didn't open already? Male flowers usually only bloom 1 day and then close forever. The bloom's best chance at pollination (either you or another pollinater) is early morning, before 10 (9's best). After that point, the flowers close and start to die. I would go out and see your flowers in the morning.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here