Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
talamorgan_gw

Questions for FAQ

Talamorgan
20 years ago

Hi all! I'm trying to gather questions that would be suitable for a FAQ list for this forum. Please post questions you think would be suitable on a FAQ. Thanks!

Comments (25)

• JerseyMike
    20 years ago

I've ALWAYS wondered about the proper pronunciations for "Cucurbit", "Cucurbita Pepo" and "Cucurbitaceae".

• ssowieja
    20 years ago

I'd like to know how long (days) it takes a gourd to mature once it's pollinated?

• Talamorgan
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for the replies so far! Keep 'em coming, guys!

• simjen
    20 years ago

How about one for different sources to find gourd seeds. Im finding it hard to find many places that sell them.

• cnetter
    20 years ago

How about:
    What's the difference between male and female gourd flowers?
    Do gourds easily cross polinate?
    Do gourds cross polinate with other curcurbits?
    How do I hand polinate a gourd and prevent cross polination?
    What conditions are ideal for germination?
    How much room do gourd vines need?
    How do I clean a dried gourd?

• ssowieja
    20 years ago

Here's more:
    How to green clean a gourd?
    What are some of the common diseases that trouble gourd gardens? How to combat them?
    Can luffas cross with other yellow flowering gourds. Can they cross with other luffas? (the long ones and the round ones.)
    What determines a thick and thin shell.
    When should the gourd vine be trimmed? Why?
    How can you tell when ornamental gourds are ready to pick?
    Can you dry ornamental gourds for future use like the hardshelled gourds? Do you dry them the same way? Can you green clean them too?

• simjen
    20 years ago

To add to those, how about the different kinds of gourds and what they are commonly used for. I'll post more if I can think of more.

• Carolyn_Lil
    20 years ago

The three different types of fertilizers at the three different times.
    Shaping gourds.

• redrose2
    20 years ago

How many gourds can you expect from one vine? I assume it depends on the kind but what are the averages for the various kinds of gourds?
    How do you harvest and dry gourds? (put indoors? outdoors? on the vine? on pallets? hanging?)

• skippy05
    20 years ago

I need more info on growing pumpkins

• EarthAngel
    20 years ago

Are gourds generally attractive to deer, raccoons, etc. and must be protected?

Recommendations for books, websites and other information about growing, using, decorating and selling gourds.

• Posie
    20 years ago

Diseases of gourds?
    The ends of my large long gourds are rotting, why?
    How do I keep my gourds from getting molding and awful before they are hardened?
    Can I put gourds in a dehydrator to help dry them?

• Talamorgan
    Original Author
    20 years ago

Thanks for all the FAQs, everyone! I didn't forget you, I just got pregnant and tired all the time. So I'm going to get to it, I promise!

• RuralGardener
    20 years ago

How do you harvest your own seeds from gourds? Do you wait for the gourd to dry or get the seeds out while the gourd is fresh?

• Stella_Blue
    20 years ago

Thanks for all the FAQs, everyone!

• MsStFrancis2U
    20 years ago

Have more!

Why is my gourd turning black?
    Why is there mold growing on my drying gourd and is this normal?
    What kinds of tools / materials do I need to decorate my dried hardshell gourd?

• gourd
    20 years ago

How do I transfer my design onto a gourd?
    Where can I get patterns/ideas for gourd decorating?
    Are there homemade tools that I can use to clean gourds?

• Stella_Blue
    20 years ago

Hi Talamorgan - How are you and (baby) feeling I hope both you fine. I have a question are doing both growing and decorating gourds FAQ?

Thanks,
    Mary

• Stella_Blue
    20 years ago

Hi Talamorgan -

How are you and (baby) feeling I hope both of you are fine.

I have a question are you still willing to do the gourds FAQ? I have sent you several emails over several months and have not had any answers.

Has anyone heard from Talamorgan since her post in Sept?

Thanks,
    Mary

• sassie60
    19 years ago

I just opened up a gourd that has been sitting outside for several years and it looked pretty dried up, but I've kept the seeds as I'm not sure whether or not I can still use them. I can't seem to find any info on how one can tell whether or not a gourd seed is still useable. Does anyone have an answer?

• jodyw
    19 years ago

How and for how long do I dry gourds? How do I know when it is ready to use for a project?

• gourd965
    19 years ago

How to use fertilizers and prepare the soil is one of the most important things for gourds. After the vine dies I always scrape the skin off the gourds with a Xacto knife. The gourds dry faster and clean.

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    19 years ago

Hello Talamorgan,
    Did you get enough FAQ's and post them somewhere because I'd like to see them? If so, then where?
    Xtal

• missmshell
    18 years ago

How far apart do you have to space different types of gourds?

• Baby G (USDA:10a, Sunset:21&23 SoCal-NE. Mt Washington, Lo-Chill: 200-400 Hrs, So
    5 years ago

Air temperature requirements for plant to grow unstunted vs seed germination requirements to germinate. (I'm thinking suger pumpking, butternut, etc.)

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz