Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yellowing leaves started at the base of the plant

Posted by chueh 7b GA (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 2, 14 at 15:04

The first appearance of yellowing leaves happened at the base of the plant, and then gradually yellowing its way up. 2/3 of leaves are all yellowed and have brown tips or edges. The very top 1/3 is still green. Thus, it is more likely a pest problem, for it's gradual progression. I did not see any insects on the plant though.

Can anybody suggest anything? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yellowing leaves started at the base of the plant

How are the new leaves at the end of the vine? If they look healthy, then it's a natural thing.. The first leaves tend to die off once you have a large fruit growing. You could try feeding the plant to compensate for the nutrient drain the fruit has on the plant.

o

The new leaves at the end of the vine were green and fine when I posted this thread, but now they start yellowing too....I saw greyish beetles gather around the pumpkin this morning. They did not seem to attack it, but what do I know????

o

Have you checked the base of the plant for Vine Borer holes?

o

Yep......Squash bug nymphs......

It's always too late when I could see the bugs, so how should I prevent it before the bugs infest?? I don't know when they would attack or not. Should I always put kaolin clay when I plant any squashes?

o

Check the under side of the leaf for squash bug eggs. Tiny, brown in groups. Scrape off or squish. Spray babies bugs with dish soap/water( 1tbl per gal). Find the mom and dad and do the same. If you can't find the adults, they hide very well, squirt the plants and ground with water. Squash bugs don't like wet, they will climb to the top of the leaves then you can either smash them or spray.

o

OK.. thanks for the solution

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here