Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jww_1

Wave 3 - SVB Attack

JWW_1
10 years ago

Walking around drinking my morning sweet tea and saw a SVB moth flying around my second set of summer squash and first planting of pumpkins. I know this is the 3rd wave of attack these, uhm, pests have campaigned against my garden. They wiped out the first planting of summer squash and almost took out the pumpkins. Left the pumpkins weak and now they are under attack again along with white mildew. I sometimes wonder if gardening is worth it.

Thanks for letting me vent. Comment if you want.

By the way, I snatched the SVB moth off the end of my jarrandale pumpkin vine and crushed her in my hand. I got a sick pleasure out of feeling the bug juice in my palm. Again, wonder if gardening is worth what the SVB is turning me into.

Comments (4)

• Sid23
    10 years ago

Just on my way out to the patch to check on my SVB situation. Swiped all the eggs off the plant and stems the other day but could not kill the moth even though I saw her. As for the squash bugs, no sign of them yet. Overrun with them last year, killed every last one I saw, burned all my vines, and tilled after frost. Planted a month later this year in hopes any left behind come out of the dirt and took off. Empathize and sympathize with you greatly!

• lazey
    10 years ago

Gardening is totally not worth it. Your clothes get dirty, you get dirt under your nails, you get sunburned, mosquitoes bite you, you get all sweaty in the sun, all kinds of pests destroy your vegetables. May as well have a yard full of boring green grass and buy vegetables from the supermarket that taste bland. :D

Sympathize with you, I haven't had a fresh homegrown zucchini in years. Two years of all sorts of ^$#&*@ killed all my squash plants, then last year I was away from home a lot and neglected my garden so all I got was a single birdhouse gourd that I really have no use for (not sure why I even planted it). This year I'm trying to stay on top of the pests and taking the organic route (though if I see any sucking squash bugs I might just drop a nuclear warhead on my garden). So far so good, just a couple Mexican Bean beetles ignoring the beans in favor of my squash and my mother's cantaloupe, I killed them mercilessly and sprayed neem oil. Thought they were spotted cucumber beetles so I rigged up some nice home-made cucumber beetle traps that I have not set out yet, but I think they'll come in handy just the same.

The other day I saw an adult SVB zipping around. Despite its beauty I tried to kill that little $&*# but she was too fast for me, made me look like I had lost it to the neighbors. The SVB moth more likely than not laid some eggs.So guess I have to wipe down the vines to try to get rid of the eggs.

Now semi-stupid question- does it matter what I wipe the vines down with? I have some BT (the kind for SVB) that I plan on spraying and injecting into vines, should I wipe with it too to really drive home that the SVB brats are not welcome here?

• Sid23
    10 years ago

Lazey, I am very intrigued by your homemade cucumber beetle traps. Please elaborate or start a new discussion with info and pictures!. Last year I had SVB, Squash Bugs and Cucumber Beetles. The beetles are the only thing I have no plan for yet! As for the SVB eggs, I surely am no expert. I just get every egg off by hand or duct tape then I made a paste with Sevin dust and water and "paint" it on the vine above and below dirt line then stack the dirt back up the vine to the first leaves. Good Luck!

• Christian
    10 years ago

I think we are definitely in the 2nd wave here in N. Texas. I killed at least 6 moths this weekend, and have been discovering many damaged vines. But fortunately I think since I planted so early, my vines have been established enough to take some of the damage. I have more details on my blog: check it out: http://cabalgarlandtxgarden.blogspot.com/2013/07/july-21st-update.html

Here is a link that might be useful: My Gardening Blog