Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkins in need of help?!

Posted by scmijo 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 29, 10 at 17:17

Hello I'm a first time pumpkin grower and my pumpkins were doing so very well when first planted but now they look sick.

It looks like some of the vines have exploded and yellowish orange bumpy stuff was oozing from the popped vines.

Another case not sure if related to the vine explosion I found some sort of left over bug shells around the vines that have the damage. My pumpkins look like they are all dieing now sort of like they are catching what happened to the first ones to go down.

Any suggestions or help would be great!

I have pictures but I do not know how to post them I'd be more than happy to send the pictures to anyone who could help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkins in need of help?!

Don't fret! Send me your pics at branco83@newpaltz.edu and I will try to help! I've been growing pumpkins for about ten years now.

Joe

o

How awful! We haven't had the problem here (yet), but could it be damage from squash vine borers (SVB)? You might try an Internet search for "squash vine borer damage" images to see if you see something familiar.

If the symptoms look alike, there are several threads here about how gardeners deal with the bugs. What I remember off the top of my head is slitting the stem where you see the "frass" and removing the larvae. Pulling soil over the joints ("leaf axil" might be the proper term) where the leaves and blossoms emerge can help the vine to root there, which might save the plant.

Also, for photos, what I do is upload them to a hosting site like Photobucket (free unless you're doing something special). After they're downloaded, scroll over the photo you want to post. Look for the box that says "HTML Code" - it's the 3rd one down on Photobucket and should start with something like " < a href="http://s240.photobucket.com/albums ... " (There won't be a space between the "<" and the "a.") Copy the whole thing and paste it into your message window. If your picture doesn't show up when you preview your message, try again until it works for you. You also may need to resize the image to make it fit nicely in the window.

Hope all that helps.

o

Certainly sounds like a classic case of SVB. If the plants aren't too far gone, you can successfully save them by slitting the stem at the site of the frass and go up from there, you sould find the white grub like larva inside the stem. Kill it and then bury the stem to keep it moist and encourage roots. Like Mrs. W said, try to bury a couple of nodes to encourage roots, if your pumpkins are VINE type. If they are bush type, bury the damaged area plus some additional main stem above the damaged area.

Good luck. SVB struck me hard this year as well and I had taken precautions. It's a tough one to fight!
Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here