Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I prune my butternut squash?

Posted by catherinet z5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 20, 09 at 17:18

My garden is unbelievable this year. Everything is growing better than its ever grown. I think its that chicken poop, mulch, and rain every few days.
Anyhow......the butternut squash is getting ready to climb my pole beans. It will be really hard to pick the beans this way.
Can I prune the squash vines back? Or does that injury increase the chance of disease in the stems??
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I prune my butternut squash?

You can carefully redirect your vines in a better direction, but winter squash are big plants that need space. Pruning them is apt to reduce the number of squash you get.

Most people only prune squash vines if they are growing extra large squash for giant vegetable competitions.

o

Thanks iam3killerbs,
I'll just redirect and hope they stay put. :)

o

Sure! You can prune them. If they are over grown beyond leaps and bounds, you can even use a hedge trimmer(LOL).
But probably you would want to do it selectively and surgically, if you want to baby them.

o

You can make them stay put by putting sticks into the ground to hold the vine in position.

Waltham Butternut has vines 6-8ft long (longer under superior conditions), and the fruits are born well out along the vines (male flowers are closer in to the roots), so trying to restrict their growth before they've achieved at least 2/3 of that length and set a couple fruit is likely to severely reduce your crop.

I'm growing Giant Argonauts this year and am having to rearrange and pin the vines (which may go 10-12 feet). They want to grow across the path to DH's office so that he can't get to work. LOL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here