Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to harvest zucchini

Posted by Henju 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 17:19

This is my first time grow zucchini. The container size is about 3 gallon. I found 3 fruits were blossom end rot (BER). Since then I water twice a day and the problem has been solved.

A couple of them I harvested when they are supermarket-size zucchini. One of the fruits is huge. I do not know when to harvest the fruits.

Are these fruits going to be bigger if I keep them longer?

Female flower

Female Zucchini Flower photo IMG_48161280x960_zpse67226fa.jpg

Female Zucchini Flower photo IMG_48171280x960_zps6920fd9f.jpg

Male flower

Male Zucchini Flower photo IMG_48181280x960_zps354b2b92.jpg

Zucchini July 4, 2014 photo IMG_52601280x960_zps399377b6.jpg

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to harvest zucchini

You'll want to harvest that third zucchini now. It will continue to grow but it's undesirable after it gets bigger than your 20oz soda bottle because it gets seedy with tough skin. Smaller is better! :)

o

I was thinking zucchini fruit may not grow bigger than about 25 cm but change the color and harder the skin. I have tasted a couple of my zucchini when they were about 20 cm long the regular size of our supermarkets. They were tasty and there were no seeds.

This one has been growing very fast I did not expect it. Many people said growing zucchini in containers do not have much big fruits. Now it is 39 cm long and 30 cm in diameter.

Zucchini July 6, 2014 photo IMG_5282960x1280_zps4fbc5ac3.jpg

Zucchini July 6, 2014 photo IMG_5287960x1280_zpsdae66044.jpg

Zucchini July 6, 2014 photo IMG_5279960x1280_zps00190cf2.jpg

It will keep it for seeds :)

Thanks

o

Agree with LCaroline12 about when to pick.

If you keep it for seeds it will lessen the production from the plant since the plant will focus a lot of its energy on growing that one. If you keep picking them while immature the plant will keep putting them out.

Rodney

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here