Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gourdo_2006

gourds in grass

gourdo_2006
17 years ago

some of my gourds are growing in the grass, and i am worried it will make them rot. Any advice???

Comments (7)

• genepa
    17 years ago

Gourdo - Grass shouldn't make them rot. However, it does make it easier for bug critters to get at your gourds. I would put something between the gourd and the grass/ground, like a piece of white (not black) plastic or cardboard. Anything to create a barrier between your gourd and the grass/ground. Snails and insects can chew around the gourd and cause scaring. Setting your gourds upright also help create a nice flat bottom. Gene

• weirdtrev
    17 years ago

Excellent advice I agree with Gene. Couldn't have said it better myself. Also just a good rule of thumb even if you put cardboard under them if the grass grows over them and you can't see them there is a good chance they will rot as my experience tells me. Be sure that there is good ventillation to your gourds so that a humid microclimate under the grass doesn't emerge which would be bad for your gourds.

• gourdo_2006
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I picked a lot of the grass around my pumpkins and they are doing much better. I have some mold on some, but all in all they are doing much better. Thanks everybody!

gourdo

• leftycatcher
    17 years ago

"I would put something between the gourd and the grass/ground, like a piece of white (not black) plastic or cardboard."

Gene,

Why not black? I have black fabric mesh under my pumpkins - it allows penetration of water, but keeps down weeds. I thought it would be better than them growing on dirt. Does the black attract more sun and bake the plants?

• genepa
    17 years ago

leftycatcher, The reason I said not to use black plastic is that I have read several emails from people who have used black and they said it roasted their gourds. I start all my gourds, and other veggies, with 3 ft wide black plastic. However, by the time gourds or whatever begin to form, they are way off the plastic. However, in my patch the foilage is two to three ft high and NO sun gets through that and the gourds are well shaded. Having said that, I still use cardboard or a light colored material just to be on the safe side. Also, right now the vines are so thick that I can't even begin to think of getting to the gourds and putting something under them. Later on in the season when the leaves begin to die, I will get in there and put something under them because they will still have weeks to go before I harvest them and snail, slugs and other critters can still do serious harm to the bottoms. Gene

• leftycatcher
    17 years ago

Hi Gene,

Thanks for your reply. The black plastic mesh is only in short sections, adjacent to the roots, and not where the vines are sprawling, so I'm not going to worry about it. Good advice about the snails/slugs; I'll remember to slide cardboard in at appropriate time. Have a few more questions...

1) Amount of sun. As the vines begin to wander, is it just as important that the new growth stay in full sun? My patch was planted on top of a terraced hill in full sun, but the vines are now wandering down to part sun/part dappled shade through a strawberry patch. I'm wondering whether I should direct the vines back up towards the full sun, or does it matter?

2) Pruning. I've read that pruning at 8-10' length will encourage lateral growth with more female blossoms. So far, have only had male blossoms. August is just around the corner, and I'm starting to worry that I don't have any pumpkins yet! I'm growing the Cinderella variety. Same problem with the swan neck gourds, which are growing on a 12' trellis. Has almost reached the top, and no flowers!

3) Beetles. Not sure whether they're squash or cuke beetles, they are small with brown/yellowish stripes. I read they can be both good/bad: good in that they help pollinate, but bad in the way of destruction. I've found them inside a few male flowers on the pumpkin vines, though no visible damage. Should I do anything about them? I've been trying to avoid any chemicals.

4) Fertilizer. I've read they're heavy feeders. Is Miracle Grow okay to use?

This has been the rainiest spring & summer I can remember. So far, it's resulted in the best tomato crop I've ever planted, and the summer squash plants are vining like gourds, but very slow to fruit. (Don't know whether this is attributed to heavy rains, or more related to all the composted horse manure added over the winter.) Wondering if the weather also is affecting the pumpkin/gourd flowers (which didn't get the manure). Would love to hear your thoughts.

Love this forum.
    Leftycatcher's Mum

• genepa
    17 years ago

Hi Leftycatcher's Mum', I would start to slide cardboard in now. I can't get some under a lot of mine now because the whole patch is solid gourd vines that come up past my knees and it's impossible to walk through them without stepping on a vine.
    1) Amount of sun. I think as long as the major part of your patch is getting fun sun you shouldn't have a problem. However, if you get a lot of growth in the partial shade it might present a problem. My whole patch goes into shade after about 5 o'clock plus a lot of my gourd plants are growing over top of each other and shading every thing under them. Hope this helps.
    2) Don't know about pruning pumpkins but gourds definitely need pruned after 8 to 10 ft. I didn't know this last year and I had no females until Jul/Aug and it certainly cut back on my crop. Pinch the growing bud at the end of the vine and it should promote lateral growth where the females form. Don't wait.
    3) Beetles. This is a tough one too. Last year I had cukes growing with my gourds and the cukes beetles almost completely devoured my cukes but never touched my gourds until almost the end of the season when it didn't matter anyhow. However, some of these critters carry a virus which will kill your whole vine in a big hurry. I've had that in past years but thankfully not lately. Sevin is a mild pesticide as far as people and animals and birds, but does a great job on bug critters. However again, pumpkins bloom during the day and relies on bees and other flying insects to pollenate them so Sevin would NOT be good for them. Gourds (hard shell) bloom at night and rely on moths to pollinate them so if you would spray at day time it shouldn't be a problem.
    4) Fertilizer. When I plant my gourds I dig a hole about twice as big as I need and put Miracle Grow Potting soil which has (according to them) enough fertilizer for 3 months. That's the only time I fertilize them. Although this year I mulched them heavy with horse manure so every time it rains, they get a drink of manure tea. Most experts,(of which I aint) says fertilizer late in the season just promotes more vine growth and does little to help gourds/pumpkins that are already formed.
    I think I'm getting about the same rains that you have. In June we had 14" and so far in July we are way about normal. My gourds have gone absolutely bonkers. I have a three foot fence around my patch and they are even with the top of that. I got gourds growing all over the place and are getting enormous. I think your fruiting problem is coming from not pinching your vines off when they hit 8 to 10 ft. Again, I'm far from being an expert but I keep a written diary of everything I do in my patch and how my patch does and that helps a lot.

I share your thoughts about this forum. I think its the greatest. Good Luck and keep us posted. Gene

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor