Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Butternut squash leaves yellowing

Posted by wolverine1012 6 SW OH (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 18:14

OK, so I choose butternut squash as its supposed to be the least affected by the SVB. The plants have some along nicely and set about 6 fruit. Today I noticed that some of the leaves have begun to yellow. We've had the same hot weather as everyone else and have been watering every third day. Yesterday all the plants got a balanced granular fertilizer.

The picture is not the best but you should be able to see the issue.

Anyone have any idea about what's going on and what to do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Butternut squash leaves yellowing

Sorry, I guess the picture didn't post. Let's try again.

o

Anyone got any ideas?

o

Are you doing anything to control pests and diseases?

o

I try to examine the leaves regularly for SVB and squash bug eggs, and have pulled a few SB eggs off the leaves. I occasionally see cucumber beetles in the garden, but they are gone before I can do anything about them.

I have sprayed several times with pyrthrin/rotenone and plan to give a good neem oil spray tomorrow.

You can't tell from the picture, but that is one vine. It's the leaves closer to the stem that are turning yellow. The ones farther out seem to he healthy.

My wife put some straw around the stem to mulch the plant. I pulled that off today because I got to thinking that the problem started right after we did that.

o

• Posted by Yazan Kansas 5 (My Page) on
    Thu, Nov 8, 12 at 7:37

Hi, I had that same prolbem with butternut squash this year, we had a very hot and dry summer and the butternut leaves yellowed and wilted, I sadly only got 2 squash out of the plant, I am not an expert but I think it is either cucumber beetle or drougt stress. When itis too hot the plants wilt and can't set fruits. Cucumber beetle feeds on tissues in the squash and transmits rot or powdery mildew, I tried picking of the cucumber beetles with hand but it was very hard, there were just too much, sadly at this stage there is no saving the plant, however DO NOT throw it in the compost bin because whatever it was infected with gets in the compost and when you use the compost next year the next generation of squash gets infected.

o

At the time I posted this, there were no SVB yet. However I do agree that SVB, along with cucumber beetles (both striped and spotted), and squash bugs can do a number on your plants. I hand picked squash bugs and their eggs from the leaves all season, so hopefully the population will be smaller next year.

I decided, though, that my problem was the soil. I cleaned out a drainage ditch and I assumed that the soil would be rich from silt and decayed plants from the past. It turns out that the soil had the nitrogen leached out of it and, when I gave the plants some nitrogen, they greened up and I got quite a few squash from them.

Now, on to next year...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here