Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
stems cracked on my pumpkin plant

Posted by dustypumkin (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 20, 10 at 18:30

i have 14 pumpkin plants. there was a storm that pushed some of them over when they were younger and the stem cracked. for a while they healed leaving the stem scared. now my plants realy started growing there all blossomed and are about 9 ft long but many of the scared places are opened and are looking dryed and rotted. the leaves and dranches look healthy. what do i do?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: stems cracked on my pumpkin plant

Hey Dustypumkin,
Like you, I was worried about my pumpkin plants when I saw that the stems were all cracked and dry and generally unhealthy looking. However, there is absolutely no need to worry. As long as your vines are vigorous, obviously water and nutrients are moving through that crusty stem. As plant cells age, more cellulose and even a little bit of lignin gets deposited in their cell walls. This gives them a hardened, woody-like texture as well as a lot of strength. That is what is occurring in the stems. They are less pliant because their cellular composition is becoming more akin to that of wood and less like flexible, green, wet pumpkin vine and leaf tissue that we're used to. Your plants will be fine!

Good luck,
Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here