Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bobboberan

Pumpkins no female flowers

bobboberan
14 years ago

I have 3 vines growing one is about 4 feet in length and the other two are about 7 or 8 feet . It all started just fine I polinated with Q-tips and I have two pumpkins growing about the size of large cantalopes already but suddenly ...no female flowers help! what am I doing or not doing to cause this .Last year I only ended up with one medium small pumpkin out of 3 vines I suspected wasps (pollen robbers)were to blame but at least I still got alot of female flowers this year there are not many wasps and no more female flowers after such a good start .

Comments (6)

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

I'm surprised that vines that short are setting pumpkins at all. What variety is it?

I don't usually get pumpkins/winter squash setting until the vines are at least 6 feet and they really get going once they reach 8-10 feet and start putting out laterals.

A given amount of plant can only support a given amount of fruit at once. :-)

• binkalette
    14 years ago

I don't have any females either :-(

• bobboberan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks iam3killerbs I was under the impression that what you said about A given amount of plant can only support a given amount of fruit at once could be a reason and maybe these basic JACK-O-LANTERN seeds have just gotten old since its from the same batch of seeds as last year . I have pretty good soil and its a sloped and long raised bed with the pumpkins and watermelons at the receiving end of all the nutrients of course the vines are growing outside of the garden with a clear grass path for them to go as far as they wish , the pumpkins are only a few feet from the roots so yeah they had a good start . very healthy looking garden this year infact everything and I mean everything is almost all harvested except for the remainder of lettuce we have been eating it like mad to keep up even gave some away and set up a stand in the front yard for the kids to sell , and this lettuce is just waiting for us to empty the garden except for the pumpkins and watermelon at the far end . I hope I get new females from the new laterals there is one tiny one but I'm afraid its going to just die off, we'll see over the next several days .I'm curious if there is a way to force a greater number of females ....it would be nice if one could just put a nice suit on the males with a cumberbun and unlimited spending gold credit card hanging out of the vest pocket to attract more females but unfortunately its pumpkins and not a fine dining restaurant.

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

:-D @ the idea of dressing my male squash flowers in nice suits to attract the girls.

I'd love to have some way of getting more fruit to set per plant.

• cyrus_gardner
    14 years ago

Do you feed your pumpkins?
    Do you pinch off the tip of mains?(when 5-10 ft)
    Pinching off the main will encourage latteral branching. Usually latterals have more female.
    Pumpkins/squash/gourds have plans:

plan /phase one: grow as much root as you can.
    Plan/phase two: grow as long main as you can.
    plan/phase three: Now grow latterals and more female flowers.

I thing , being basically a tropical natives, they have no idea of the time limit and the fall and the cold comming soon. That is why they jut keep growing and growing.haha

• bobboberan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have an update the females are back but the two pumpkins which started slowed right down in their growth I believe pumpkin vines can only accomodate so much unless the nutrients and soil is right . I can only get better at this with each year but its alot of work checking for new pumpkins and doing all the pollinating .

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor