Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
acorn922

Hole in pumpkin - a goner?

acorn922
9 years ago

I found a 2mm wide hole in a recently pollinated pumpkin. I'm assuming a worm is enjoying itself inside.
Will it make it 'til harvest, or is it a goner?
Is there something I can spray on it?

Comments (9)

• Bruvyman
    9 years ago

Hey. Funny you ask. One of my pumpkins got nibbled on by an animal. Unfortunately it was the only pumpkin I had because I had already thinned out the others to go for size. It was pretty upsetting since it also ate the end of the main vine.

After this picture was taken it kept growing but the wound was still exposed and the ants were all over it. Luckily, the only other female flower on the main vine got bee-pollinated and is now growing well, albeit a bit late. I've now cut off the damaged pumpkin as I don't think it would have made it.

Do you have pics?

• acorn922
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's a photo of it.

I also found a white caviar like mass on the vine near the pumpkin. I'm guessing they're bug eggs.
    Argh!

• Sid23
    9 years ago

Although it is rare, it could be an SVB(squash vine borer) in there. They almost always bore in at the base of the main vine and travel inside the vine's open canal. However, I have had a few bore directly into my nearly ripe pumpkin. If it is one, there are certainly more. Check all the vines for "frass" or what looks like pale yellow or orange wet sawdust like material. If so those are the borers and if it is directly inside a pumpkin it is very improbable it will survive. Cannot think of anything other than a bug or larvae that would make that hole. Unless someone is out there with a bb gun! lol

This post was edited by Sid23 on Sat, Aug 2, 14 at 9:10

• StephanieHS
    9 years ago

Hey Acorn, this may be out there but I watched a youtube vid where a pumpkin grower was injecting something called BT into a hole in vine where a SVB grub had gotten in. Apparently the BT stopped the grub from eating, saving the plant and pumpkins. No idea how desperate you are to save your pumpkin or even if this would work in your situation, but I thought worth noting. Couldn't hurt anyway.
    Best of luck!

• acorn922
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the new replies. Had to look up BT.

Haven't seen any fras, just the caviar like stuff.

The pumpkin seems to still be growing 'cause it looks a little bigger and is hanging now. Going to make a hammock.

• Sid23
    9 years ago

Good luck with it, maybe the hole will fill in and heal over as it grows! Update later please!

• acorn922
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Found out the culprit is a pickle worm. Caught one red handed this morning. Managed to yank the little bugger out.

Maybe the caviar like stuff is fras and not eggs.

Pumpkin's still hangin' in there. Fingers crossed!

• acorn922
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Gone. R.I.P.
    There were two holes in the stem the day I found it disconnected from the plant.
    A slightly older, but still very green pumpkin got drilled by a few worms. Got some BT, sprayed it in the holes and I think it has done the trick. Pumpkin's still ripening. Fingers crossed.

• StephanieHS
    9 years ago

Hey Acorn,

I'm so glad the BT appears to be working! And thanks for posting a follow up. Could you tell me where you found your BT or what the brand name is?

I would be so great to have a method of attack if hit with SVB or pickle worms in futureâ¦..

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm