Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cyumickey

bush summer squash about 1 inch apart

cyumickey
15 years ago

I had a lot of difficulty starting squash this year, and just now have seedlings. I have 2 about 1" apart, as I threw 2 seeds in the hole, not knowing if they would germinate. They are starting to get their first true leaves and I wanted to know if I could move one of them, or if they will be fine growing so close together. It is early white bush scallop, I think. There is also another squash sprouting maybe 5" from those two (from an earlier planting that didn't take). I am reluctant to pull any up because they were so slow to start. I have 2 spots available in the bed if the seeds I put there do not germinate. Could I move one of the 1" apart ones there?

Comments (17)

• booberry85
    15 years ago

I would move both the 1 inch & the 5 inch ones. Squashes usually don't like their roots disturbed but there won't be enough room for them to grow and they will fight each for nutrients if you leave them where they are. Dig deeply around the plants to disturb the roots the least.

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, I will try that when I get home tonight...

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

I think not disturbing the roots is key. Two summer squash can be planted right next to each other if the soil is good and rich. I have two golden zucchini plants about an inch apart and they are very productive for me (15 so far for the two plants). I give my zucchinis at least 3 feet in all directions between plantings.

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

should I just leave them? another something sprouted yesterday...it's from one of my first "planned" plantings, back directly under my bamboo trellis...it's either a bush delicata or sweet mama hybrid bush kabocha...

I'll take a pic tonight so you all can see...

• weirdtrev
    15 years ago

I wouldn't leave them all. If I were in your position I would either move the one that is 5 inches away or move the two close to each other with a lot of surrounding dirt and not separate them. Since my goal is alway minimizing root disturbance I would probably move only the one that is 5 inches away. That way only one plant is disturbed and you can take a bit of soil along with it.

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok, I moved the 5" one and it seems to be ok. I *may* have another coming up in the next couple of days

the red stuff is cayenne pepper...my dog likes to "help" (I found a decapitated seedling the other day) so I hope it keeps her away.

Oh, and I have no idea where these guys came from...I can just dig them up and toss, right?

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

There are 2 more breaking through the dirt that you can't see in the above photo...one to the right of those black pots, and one to the right of the front water bottle (you can kind of see it among the weeds)

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've moved a couple more seedlings around, so I hope I have adequate space around them now. I've also adjusted the drip lines so they all get water. The ones in the back weren't getting direct water so they are not growing as quickly.

• tcstoehr
    15 years ago

Leave the mushrooms alone, they're your friends.
    The decapitated seedlings could well be the fault of birds. Birds love pecking at emerging curcubit seeds. I usually put wire cages over mine until they're large enough for the birds to lose interest.

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

My plants are doing nicely, now. I have about 8 now, I think. One I'm not too sure about because it just has 2 very large cotyldons (sp?) and isn't doing much else. The two 1" apart ones are quite large now and it looks like there are several buds in the stem area. Hopefully they will be flowers soon!

Oh, and I didn't do anything with the mushrooms...they just shriveled up...

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I saw female flower buds yesterday! Not sure when they will open, but they had the tiniest of pattypan shapes on them. LOL

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

didn't get a chance to take a pic this morning, but I went outside and saw yellow! My first flower! It was a boy flower, but the girls should be opening any day now!

Also, I've discovered that the plant on the very left of my garden must be mini white cucumber, as it is growing up with tendrils...have to get it tied up to the trellis...

There is also ANOTHER seedling emerging...I have no idea if it's white scallop or 8-ball, though...

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

just wanted to share my very first squash of the season:

FINALLY a white pattypan!!! It is the size of my palm. I have another one growing, too, and several female flowers that should be opening in a few days. I'm so excited. I'm going to eat it tonight!

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

just wanted to update with some pics...

the garden yesterday!

{{gwi:102964}}
    out of control...

• angelady777 (Angela) - Zone 6
    15 years ago

Thanks for keeping this thread updated. I just transplanted squash that came up too close together about a month ago. What I found was as long as you get that AS SOON AS you see them come up out of the ground, you've got a great chance of not disturbing their roots too badly and getting 100% of your plants to survive the shock. At least that is what I just got, and that's how I did it! It appears yours are doing VERY well, too.... nice pictures! I hope it was delicious!

~Angela

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks, it was! My plants are even more out of control now. I can barely see through all the leaves. I do have a pollinator now, though...it's the first time I've seen a bee in my yard, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. LOL!

• cyumickey
    Original Author
    15 years ago

garden this morning

harvest (also this morning)

{{gwi:111280}}

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor