Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of gourd is this.

Posted by slimfatty 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 27, 14 at 19:32

Hi guys can anyone tell me what kind of gourd this is.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of gourd is this.

I don't know, but I'd love to grow those!! Beautiful.

o

Me too, and I use this as a rattle and did not want to cut it open...some one will know

o

My good friend works for the extension service and she's horticulture/agronomy, but also happens to be a pumpkin enthusiast! I sent this to her and she says it's a caveman's club, also called a dinosaur club!
https://www.harrisseeds.com/storefront/p-746-gourd-cavemans-club.aspx

o

OH??? my that is really weird, i have had this rattle for almost 10 years, and have called it my cave man rattle, so how cool to find out it is called a caveman gourd. thank you so much i will hunt for seeds!!!

slim

o

WHAT?? That's 10 years old?? Crazy!

o

Yep, dried it myself, it hung in a nice dry dark basement, has never rotted. Shakes and rattles very nicely. Will haver to try and grow some next year!,,,

o

Once gourds in the genus Lagenaria dry they last pretty much indefinitely.

Rodney

o

another name of this gourd is maranka, monkey. See American Gourd Society for a gourd id chart.
Deb

o
Lagenaria siceraria 'Marenka'

All this bottleneck Lagenarias with such hoolows or bumps in the skin of the bottle are called Marenka around the world or Caveman´s club in North America.
While the link to harrisseeds shows the common dark green to blue variety, the first picture of this thread we can see bright skin.
This fruit might be Lagenaria siceraria 'Marenka Limegreen':
http://kokopelli-semences.fr/boutique/lagenarias

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here