Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I pinch off cucumber and pumpkin flowers?

Posted by gardenandlearn 10b (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 15, 14 at 19:42

I have a pumpkin plant and two cucumber plants growing up a trellis, the cucumbers are only about 1 1/2 - 2 1/2 feet tall, and the pumpkin is about 4 - 5 feet tall. The pumpkin and cucumbers are putting out flowers and I wanted to know if letting the flowers set will stop their growth or if they will keep growing. Should I pinch them off so the plants can keep growing? I'm not sure what to do. Btw the pic is upside down

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I pinch off cucumber and pumpkin flowers?

Here is a pic of how they're doing. These cucumbers are growing flowers at the base and I don't want this to stunt growth. If I pinch off the flowers, will new ones grow in their place? Or will these plants keep on flowering and growing at the same time? The variety of cucumber is marketmore 76. I believe it's determinate or semi-determinate.

o

From what I've seen, setting fruits does not stop the plant growth. I've cut off about 3 cucumbers from each plants, and the plants are about 5-6 feet tall now.

Cucumbers are strange plants. If they want to grow, they can grow several inches a day. Or they do not grow at all....

o

okay thank you so much I've decided for take your advice and let them be. They've exploded with growth!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here