Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mildew on Squash - pics

Posted by auntlainey 31036 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 7, 10 at 19:43

I am assuming this is mildew.

Still producing squash. Plants are huge and way too close together.

What can I do to stop it from spreading?

Here is a link that might be useful: pics

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mildew on Squash - pics

I am having the same problem. It's on my summer squash and zucchini plants. Hope someone responds with knowledge!

o

Yup, that is powdery mildew. What to do is as follows:
Remove all infected leaves and discard away from plants. Spray with fungicide to retard further growth and spread of the mildew. Continue this process throughout the rest of the plants life. Spraying will have to be repeated after any heavy rain. Prevention is key.

Commercial fungicides are available at the big box stores, just look for one that addresses powdery mildew. I'm trying a Copper based fungicide this year.

For organic measures, there are posts on this site regarding the use of milk based solutions or baking soda based solutions. I tried these last year, and they helped some, but since I'm growing a lot of squash this year, I'm breaking out the bigger guns.

You can search the site for milk or baking soda to find proportions or google powdery mildew and milk or baking soda on the internet.

Good Luck!
Susan

o

I'm having the same problem with my squash, gourds, and cucumbers. This is my first experience with mildew, so I'm learning as I go. I've been cutting off the leaves that are badly infected and spraying the rest with Organocide. It's an organic mix of oils that I got it at Home Depot. It seems to stop the spread for about a week, then I have to spray again. The plants seem to tolerate it pretty well so far, but I have noticed that my cucumber leaves are speckled. I'm thinking it is probably from the Organocide. However, they are still growing and producing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here