Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fpgoa

can a pumpkin be wrapped?

fpgoa
15 years ago

Well, just an update from my backyard to yours. I had a Jack Be Little plant go to the great Pumpkin in the sky. I have a few smaller ones still growing each has a newly pollinated female sprouting a tiny pumpkin. My big ones (not sure if we determined if it was a Big Max or Hercules) are growing crazy runners and tendrils all over. I have one pumpkin that "set" properly (I just noticed it yesterday) and it is green as the vine and about the size of a soda can. I read on this site and have heard on a radio show that it should be balanced on a plank of wood to keep soil buggers away from it. The only things I have seen around any of my plants are small brownish ant looking creatures (the plants are mostly surrounded by a circle of dirt, mulch and a few tons of ground up maple tree we worked into the earth) and some ladybug looking bugs and some vertically yellow striped ladybug looking things. We have all sorts of bees, yellowjackets and wasps in the area. I have installed a beetle trap near the fence line about 20 feet away.

I make sure not to wet the "fruit" when I water the plant. I was wondering if anybody ever wrapped plastic around a pumpkin fruit as it was growing or a plastic bag to keep it safe and sound from mold, bugs or excess moisture? I realize they change color during growth and don't know if they "riped" per se from the Sun or if they just naturally harden up and orange. Can you put a trash bag around it and secure it or will this ruin the pumpkin or slow the growth?

Comments (4)

Sponsored