Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
female flower dried in the middle

Posted by ange2006 (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 5, 14 at 20:26

The last few days, all my female squash flowers look dried up in the middle even when it's still early in the morning. Would this affect fertilization of the flower?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: female flower dried in the middle

Probably. Are they dried up the first day they are open? What have the temperatures been like?

Rodney

o

Yes, they were dried up on the first day. I normally check them around 7 in the morning before the sun hits with temperature in the low 70s. If the previous day was hot, in the 90s, would it affect the unopened flowers?

o

Mystery solved!

Yesterday I saw a female flower "open" except the petals were still shriveled up, not yet developed. Today, the flower is completely open and I saw that the middle is a bit dry already.

I manually pollinated the flower yesterday. Hopefully it took.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here