Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange pumpkin leaves - what's going on?

Posted by gardenwebman (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 24, 10 at 20:40

Hi folks,

This is my first message here. I love this forum.

MY PUMPKIN PROBLEM
I am getting these strange leaves suddenly from my pumpkin vines. It is happening only to the newest leaves that come out. Furthermore, my female flowers are dying before blooming. I'm on on week 9 (I planted my seeds on May 19th 2010)

Take a looksee:
pumpkins

Why is this happening? What can I do to help my pumpkin patch?

BACKGROUND
I saved seeds from last year's pumpkin which I bought at the store.

I created a 1 meter(about 1 yard) round mound with ph between 5.5-6, and got a 90% germination rate. Thinned the mound to 3 pumpkin vines. Lots of male flowers have been blooming since week 4, but female ones (had 2 so far) have just browned and died (it's now week 9). More are coming.

Weather:Been hotter than heck at 95 degrees and humid the last 10 days, and it rained for 3 weeks almost every day before that.

Why is this happening? What can I do to help my pumpkin patch?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange pumpkin leaves - what's going on?

Doesnt look like its heat-induced to me. I would think there would be more brown leaves. Looks like it's more related to a bacteria, fungus, or pest.

o
RE: Strange pumpkin leaves - what's going on?

I'm sorry to see that in your patch :( It is definitely a virus, looks like one of the mosaic viruses. Unfortunately that plant is a loss, any fruit will be deformed. You can try cutting out the tip and throwing it out. Hopefully the lateral branches will be ok.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here