Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agngg

Question on Pumpkins, high temps, and water

agngg
14 years ago

Hello! I'm a first time grower of anything and I'm trying my hand at everything!! Lol

Everything has been doing really well, I have about 50 containers of various veggies and plants.

The only thing I have in the ground are Connecticut Field pumpkins and 2 mini watermelons. I also have 3 pumpkins in a container.

I planted June 2nd...first one sprouted on the 8th, then the rest followed soon after. I have about 6 in ground, And 3 in a large container/tote.

One of the container pumpkins is already vining and creeping out, and has flower buds (unopened). The others are growing, have buds on them but not yet vining.

Our temps have been in the 90's pretty consistently lately and into the 100's a couple times a week.

When the sun hits them (in ground) they wilt completely, but as soon as the shade creeps in later in the afternoon, they perk back up.

I'm afraid I may be underwatering. I started soaking them every other day now. Before when it was cooler, I soaked them once a week.

How are pumpkins in high heat. Is it ok for them to wilt in direct sun on a high temp day, as long as they perk back up?

The container pumpkins are under the patio and they are bigger and have never wilted.

I have sand for a backyard with only various weeds growing (unlandscaped). I wanted to experiment so I dug a long deep trench and filled it with a few bags of MG garden soil and a 3cuft bag of compost.

I would post pics but I don't have access to them right now.

How often should I be watering and fertilizing?

Thanks for any advice!!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored