Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pumpkins not producing female flowers

Posted by megleigh11 7 (Alabama) (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 22, 09 at 20:57

Hi everybody, its my first time trying to grow pumkins, and I'm having no luck. The plants sprouted up out of an old pumpkin in my backyard in about mid-May. I am keeping them in potted containers, which I think could be a problem. I fertilize the pumpkins with miracle grow organic fertilizer every week.I have lots of male flowers but no females! The temps have been in the 90s-80s with lows in the 70s-60s, and the plants wilt if I do not water them daily. Could they be too stressed to produce females? Will I have pumpkins by halloween? Any help would really be appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pumpkins not producing female flowers

How big are the pots?

Squash and pumpkins need a lot of room for their roots. I wouldn't try to grow one in anything less than a half-barrel.

If you can keep the roots cooler by shading the pots somehow it might help.

o

Thanks! They are not too big. I am planning on planting the pumpkins out in the yard soon.

o

Pumpkins don't like to be transplanted.

Except for people who absolutely have to get a start on a short season, direct-seeding them usually does better. And the smaller they are when transplanted the more likely they are to live.

o

I'm growing pumpkins this year for the first time, too - and so far have 3 fruit developed. I trellis mine, because the vine grows REALLY long!

EG

Here is a link that might be useful: My gardening blog

o

I ran into the same problem after my neighbour was bragging about my vines I have no idea if this helped but after feltilzing fairly heavily and days of non stop rain and watering (very dry climate) they produced 5 more females (3 vines)I am polinating everyday whether the flower is open or not lol one out of the five produced a flower and successfully its producing pumpkin . I'm still waiting on the remainder .

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here