Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ryanb19_gw

My pumpkins are dieing...need help!

RyanB19
12 years ago

Hi i need help, my pumpkins are shriviling up and turning yellow then dieing. My vines/leaves are healthy. Some of the pumpkins are dieing before they even bloom. I can post pics if needed. I dont know if this will help but i do have gourds growing close to them.

Any help will be appreciated.

Comments (11)

• terrybull
    12 years ago

are they getting pollinated?
    are they getting enough water?
    is there any insect problems?

• RyanB19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

no insect problems i put seven dust on them about 10 days ago i also have been putting miracle grow on them about 2 a week. it has been really hot for the past week in the 90s but they always have enough water.

• terrybull
    12 years ago

the sevin is keeping the good bugs away. you are going to have to hand pollinate and keep the sevin off the flowers.

• RyanB19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

do i just rub the male flower's inside on the unbloomed female flower? thanks a lot for your help

• Sid23
    12 years ago

I am having the same trouble as you Ryan. So I am watching your post before I post my own. The bulb under the female flower appears to be shriveling up before the bloom is mature enough to open. Bloom is still tiny and green. Bulb is yellow and wrinkly.

• terrybull
    12 years ago

you cant really open a female if shes not ready. and i think the temps might cause your pumpkin to abort the babies. good watering and regular fertilizing. maybe shade the babies.

• RyanB19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I water them all the time it just seems like they keep on shrilvel up and then fall off i have a pic but i do not know how to post it. even the ones just starting are doing this.

• RyanB19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

IIve been reading a lot and i concluded that if they dont get pollinated they can shrivel up but the thing is they are dieing before they can even blossom.

• terrybull
    12 years ago

whats the weather. if its too hot they will abort.

• RyanB19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

good news is that i finally got one to pollinate and hes been growing right a little bigger than a baseball, bad news is all the others are still dying. A quick question real quick after the plants have been growing awhile will the vine at the base(coming out of the ground) start to break down/rot/turn to mush?

• RyanB19
    Original Author
    12 years ago

alright did some research and found out what i have is squash vine borers, if i put sevin dust on just the vine will it keep them out? Also is too late to save my plants and would this becausing my females to be falling off?

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994