Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pick or let sit

Posted by spiced_ham z5 OH (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 29, 11 at 21:02

My first Penn. Neck squash (mutant big butternut) are starting to turn tan. Do I leave those guys out all season long or bring them in out of the elements as soon as the skin toughens up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pick or let sit

Pick them when they are ripe. Make sure they are fully tan and there is no hint of green left. You can leave them out but the longer they are outside after they are ripe the greater the chance that they rot or get attacked by bugs/rodents.

o

I've got some butternuts ready too...I guess I'll pick mine, cure them and store them too!

o

Thanks, Will do.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here