Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When will I get Female flowers?

Posted by binkalette Minnesota (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 21:04

So, my Pumpkins have started to flower, this morning my first two flowers opened :-) It looks like all of the flowers and all three of my plants are ALL male though.. there's no little round bumps under any of them.. Do female flowers come in later or is there something I'm doing wrong (like fertilizer or watering or something)? Thanks for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When will I get Female flowers?

when did you plant them and what type are you growing?

o

I planted them into a large pot the beginning of June.. We just bought our house this spring and putting in the garden took more work than we thought since the soil here was about 4 inches of black dirt, and the rest was all clay.. We ended up excavating the clay from the area where we wanted to put the garden, and then we used landscaping blocks to make a large raised garden and filled it with a truck full of garden soil. I got the pumpkins in the ground the last weekend of June. They are the 'Jack O Lantern' type of pumpkin.

o

Usually, the first flowers on cucubitas , that open on the main are males(not always). To get more female flowers sooner, pinch off the tip of main(when long enough). Then latteral branches will grow that will have more female flowers.

o

thanks y'all. i've been wondering if i had a bunch of freaks growing out there. this is my second unsuccussful try. damn those bees!

o

Good news! I got my first female flower today!!! :-D!

o

It took my plants awhile before I got females and the bees were not coming out because of all the rain we had been getting. The rain has let up and the bees are out and I have 5 for now that are growing. Good Luck

o

It is my understanding that with some plants, the main stem produces male flowers and the branching vines will eventually produce the female flowers. Nothing will set if the temp gets over 90F degrees, and if the female flowers aren't pollinated early in the morning. Temperature will also affect the production of female flowers on a plant. Also try adding a little extra phosphorus and a bit of epsom salts to your watering regimen. Once it starts to get cooler, you should see more female flowers. Don't ever pinch or prune a squash plant's populous vines.

o

Here's the first pumpkin :D

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Pumpkins Squash & Gourds Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here