Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
squishsquash

Lebanese style squash

squishsquash
9 years ago

I have the craziest get-up in my yard. I have major svb problems, so this year, my bf built me a couple cages and we have our squash completely covered with row covers. I also have earth boxes with the same contraptions. This, of course, means I have to go out every morning and pollinate. I have harvested quite a few yellow and golden egg varieties, but not once have I caught a female lebanese flower open to even pollinate yet! The plants are beautiful, happy, and have plenty of males and females. Oddly, today two look pollinated, but I have no idea how that could be. I didn't catch any little friends sneaking in. I am sure they are just nice ones that will eventually shrivel. Is it possible these do not open until late morning to midday? I've been out between 5:30 and 7:30 in the past few weeks.
I am only home until 6:30 am this week, and at that hour don't even look partially opened. I feel like I am missing the boat! I am dying to taste these! This is a first for me. I am almost tempted to take the covers off, but then today noticed frass on one of my uncovered backups-so I think it's too early.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations