Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sassie60

Cleaning Tools

sassie60
18 years ago

Hi, I've been out of touch for quite sometime but am now back into gourding.

Has anyone out there found the ultimate homemade gourd scraper other than a grapefruit spoon?

I've tried using my husband's work tools but still haven't found the one that really does a great job of scraping the inside of gourds.

Sandy

Comments (13)

• Lillie1441
    18 years ago

Sandy-I use a melon baller.I sharpened the edge with a file and it works pretty good........Lillie

• sassie60
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Lillie, I'll have to try that one and perhaps switching back and forth will give me a clean finish.
    Sandy

• Nonnie_GA
    18 years ago

My all-time favorite homemade tool is an all-thread rod (looks like a 2-1/2' screw without a head) attached to a metal slotted kitchen spoon which I have used a dremel tool to sharpen. I attach it with duct tape. The spoon does the scraping and the all-thread rod gets down into a thin neck gourds. I use it all of the time.

Nonnie

• Lillie1441
    18 years ago

Nonnie-That sounds intersting,but I can't picture it in my head.Could you post a picture? Sounds like something I might like to try.............Lillie

• Lillie1441
    18 years ago

That is suppose to be "interesting"!.........Lillie

• gourd_friends
    18 years ago

My oh-so-clever dh made a scraping tool by bending a hacksaw blade and sticking the ends into a 4-inch length of garden hose. This gives you a nice loop of the blade, with lots of good scraping edge. You may have to add tape, depending on the diameter of the hose.

Jan

• Nonnie_GA
    18 years ago

Lillie, sorry to take so long to respond. Am having all kinds of computer problems. Go to my link and look into Gourds 2005. Remember though "it ain't pretty but it's mine." LOL

Here is a link that might be useful: Mom's Basset

• sassie60
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey Lillie,
    I tried the melon baller and found it worked very well in fact, better than the grapefruit spoon. Thx again.
    Sandy

• sassie60
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Nonnie,
    I also would like to see a photo of your homemade scraper. Don't you just love duct tape!
    I enjoyed your photos and love the idea of a handle on the vase.
    Sandy

• sassie60
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Jan,
    I'd also like to see a photo of your homemade scraper if you have one as it sounds like a good tool. What did people ever do before duct tape?
    Sandy

• Nonnie_GA
    18 years ago

Thanks, Sandy. Yes, I do love duct tape and I also love masking tape. I couldn't do gourds without tape. Which vase were you talking about with a handle? I can't remember one that I did.

Sandra

• sassie60
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Sandra,
    In the link "Moms Basset" I went into the Gourds 2005 folder and saw the suede leaf gourd. I also found your homemade tool photo in there.

Sandy

• Nonnie_GA
    18 years ago

Oh, that one! I have several pitchers with handles in my album so wasn't sure which one. There are two magnolia pitchers, a black and natural pitcher with gold leaves, one with a hibiscus, etc. As your can tell, I love to make pitchers. Thanks for your answer and compliment.

Sandra