Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julianna_il

Morning wilt - what's causing this? (Blue Hubbard Squash)

julianna_il
16 years ago

I've got a Blue Hubbard squash that is just spectacular. It's got one nice fruit on it, and has gone crazy crawling up the lattice I put up.

A few days ago, it was all wilted. Looked like it needed some water. I thought that strange, because my entire garden is on the same schedule and everybody else was fine. But I watered it good and it perked back up.

Next morning, wilted again. I watered again, but went inside and googled. So morning wilt was normally caused by squash vine borers or some other kind of pest/disease.

Went back out and started looking for vine borer signs. Since I've never had one, I'm not 100 percent sure of what to look for, but did look at a lot of pictures. (I don't grow squash very often)

I found what I thought was damage to some stalks - they were hollow. Except a few days later I think I realized all the squash stalks and stems are naturally hollow. Yes?

So I cut off a few short stalks and I did find one small hole in the main stalk, but I sure can't find the worm, and I've never seen the adult anywhere. (And I"m very diligent, spending a good hour a day admiring my garden and beneficial bugs, frolicking with the ladybugs, and looking for baddies) I do know what they look like (from many pictures) because I think they're very pretty. (The moths, not the worms)

I did not see any sawdust stuff, really just the one hole in a stalk.

So every morning now, it's all wilted and I think it's dead. I go spray it with liquid seaweed and an hour or two later, it's fine, all perked up and beautiful.

Today I tested and did NOT spray it. It perked back up on its own and I took one last look before the sun went down - not only is it stunning again and looking healthy, I could swear the main vine has grown another few inches.

So I'm very puzzled...do I have a vine borer or don't I, and if not, what is causing this morning wilt?

This plant started out as a trap plant for cucumber beetles (that, knock on wood, haven't shown up yet), but I've fallen kind of in love with it and have been finding recipes. LOL.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks in advance!!!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!